Host Everytime

All your MW2 fun and info, post it here.
CaMeL
Doom 3

Host Everytime

Post by CaMeL »

Infinity Ward Forums wrote: How to trick IWnet into making you the host for public games
Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:07 am

If any of you are REALLY fed up with poor latency in MW2 using IWnet, there is a way to trick IWnet into making you the host.

Obviously you NEED a decent upload speed and PC spec for this to work well, and it is sometimes trial and error. You may on the odd occasion be at the mercy of IWnet to randomly throw you in a game where your latency is horrendous. I got fed up with the poor 50ms+ connections (i play on dedicated servers with an average of 20-30ms, so anything higher than 50ms is unacceptable, hence how i found this)

1. Start game.
2. From multiplayer menu, select play.
3. Select find game.
4. Select ANY game mode you wish to play.
5. Select back to leave lobby, wait until it does it's search for <50ms, when it goes to <60ms select yes.
6. Repeat step 3,4 and 5 (roughly about 3-4 times normally).
7. You'll get to a stage where it will come up with "matched player", do NOT leave the lobby at this stage. The lobby will fill fairly fast and it will say it is waiting / searching for the best host at this point.
8. Play game.

You might want to edit your config to show 10 ping bars, it's the only way you'll know for certain you are the host of the game. If you are unsure of how to do this, follow the link below;

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=111

The other method is to enable the lagometer in game (not checked, so can't say for sure it hasn't been taken out of the config_mp file), again follow the link below.

http://bashandslash.com/boards/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a

NOTE: This isn't a perfect way of doing this, and does sometimes take trial and error. You may have to leave a random game or two when IWnet throws you into ANY game, it simply doesn't check latency period, if it did i wouldn't have figured this out. As i said, i refuse to accept 50ms+ connections when i pay for a decent PC and internet connection. The key to this method is being PERSISTENT.

If you want to see this in action (to see how it works) then follow the link below to watch the video.

http://www.xfire.com/video/1d64aa/

Hope it helps some of you.

EDIT: Ideal situation would be for Infinity Ward to actually create:

- A decent lobby system for the P2P backend.
- One that has a chat window / player list and allows you to host your own public games (not private IW, PUBLIC) that show up in the lobby, that other players can join.
- Would be even better if you could set game type / game rules etc. If you are unsure of what i mean by this, go play Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, Command and Conquer, World in Conflict etc.

RTS games have used P2P for years, and have decent lobby systems that are acceptable, MW2 has no lobby system bar a few odd menus. Really, who designed the GUI for this? It's outdated. RTS games have had better lobby systems since day one.

Oh, and by the way, no hacks involved in this.

Please keep the thread clean, if anyone has other useful information about hosting games (without using HACKS) i'll update / add it into this post.
All I have to say is that it is a little tedious, but does work.

Return to “COD MW2”