Fatal1ty blog. (Mouse Sensitivity.. and how to perfect it)

Quake I, II, III, IV, QW ET..........

Moderators: eXg. Pheon1x, eXg. Frag///aster

eXg. Frag///aster
Quake 4 US

Fatal1ty blog. (Mouse Sensitivity.. and how to perfect it)

Post by eXg. Frag///aster »

March 10, 2010 at 2:58 pm · Fatal1ty Blog

Mouse Sensitivity?

This is probably one of the biggest areas where I feel amateurs have a hard time making it to the semi-pro, or super pro level.

First thing to look at; what mouse are you using?

I’m using Microsoft 1.1 SE and/or Microsoft 3.0… I used my Fatal1ty 2020 Laser Mouse for a while, but I use such low sensitivity, that lasers can’t keep up with my fast flick shots… Using a laser mouse is cool, because it usually has really good DPI – which mine had, but for close combat it was not ideal… Only way to fix this, was to use a higher sensitivity or use Mouse Accel – either in some ways altered both my long range performance and consistency. With optical, it’s very exact, especially when overclocked to 500hz… It’s about as good as it gets… Don’t listen to the hype right now about laser mice… You’re going to end up sacrificing one thing or the other; it will either be incredible at close range or incredible at long range. You can’t have both with that device. So I advise optical as the way to go right now till the bandwidth on laser mice is improved so it can keep up with your moves.

I personally like using mousefix for all games, and using a sensitivity where I can turn a little more than 180 degrees… My personal sensitivities if you have mousefix ON, Windows Enhanced Mouse Acceleration OFF, and default 6/11 in windows…

Counter-Strike based games: 2

Quake Based Games: 4.2 to 4.5

I, personally, have always enjoyed using Mouse Accel in Quake games and no Mouse Accel in CS. In Quake, I liked Mouse Accel because it got me on the guy fast and allowed me to use a lower sens. In CS, the game rewards no Mouse Accel in movement and most of the fights are over within seconds. So no need to have hit-scan setup to keep your crosshair on the guy every second and be moving very slowly with the mouse. You need to just REACT as fast as possible and KILL. In Quake, you’re still killing super fast, but there’s more gun changing, positioning and fights just last longer. So if you can be dead on for a good amount of time. it really pays off.

Summary: You’re probably using too high of a sensitivity and need to lower it. If you’re missing mid-air shots with your setup right now, you’re using too high a sensitivity. You should be near 100% with all shots in the air. Work on your flick shots endlessly. Try to spend an hour only doing flick shots straight. If you do this, you’ll always beat your opponent to the first shot and this usually ends up in you winning the fight!

Good luck and keep on fragging…

-Fatal1ty
eXg. Frag///aster
Quake 4 US

only thing I don't get.. is those mice he is talking about.. Can be clocked to 1000 hrtz... or at least I have mine set to that.. , or is the difference between 500 and 1000 not even noticeable. Or are they the same and I am just thinking it is running at 1000 and its really 500. Either way you look at it. I messed around with his config with his sensitivity.. and I must have something a little off because its way to fast for what I have personally seen and felt as his play style when we hung out in NYC. I was messing around on his laptop and it was pretty slow of a sens, but not too bad. And the accel didn't feel to fast either.

Sometimes how it can make your up and down movment all off but be good for side to side.

I think accel in qLive. is all jacked up personally or I am setting it wrong..
dorkiz
Quake Live US

Post by dorkiz »

I think you go with what is comfortable...

I use like a 17.5 in Q4, and a 21.something in qlive and I hit air shots easily, and flick shots. Ping is what usually gets me with aim.

I'm also using a 400dpi mouse with no accel or modifications.
eXg. Frag///aster
Quake 4 US

yeah... I have been messing with a few things.. I really have found a good sens... that I like with Quake. The problem I always had was the Microsoft 1.1 mouse I love so much.. inteli mouse, basically has no weight to it.

So i have taken today to modify this mouse. :) I also put a plexi window in my mouse as well so I can see thru part of it. I plan on doing another like it.. I really like customizing my own stuff. Makes what you have that is plain and simple really stick out and work out better than the new crap out there.

Plus that was the advice from Stermy. The mouse I use is excellent, just modify it to fit you. So its a little heavier now and I am hitting more long distance shots as well as a bit better up close. ;) Pics to come soon.
eXg. Pheon1x
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. Pheon1x »

eXg. dorkiz wrote:I think you go with what is comfortable...
Ping is what usually gets me with aim.

I agree here.
My sensitivity in q4 is 4.2 and a .003 accel.
Qlive i use 3.1 and no accel..
But im also using a heavily tweaked sensitivity config on my mouses settings, but im also using 500dpi on it.. i use the 900dpi setting when i play around in the instagib servers.. i rarely play 2kdpi unless im playing crysis lol. =D

its just what i find comfortable. i hit air shots alot too and use the flick movement too.. not like i used to when i played q3, i used to play instagib.. i played instagib for 6 years.. with a sensitivity of 32ish if i remember correctly.. ive slowed my sensitivity alot for a steadyer aim.. im about 2x as accurate as i was back then =D

sensitivity is more of a user feeling. =D

Return to “Quake Series”