q4_ExgHq :)

Mods, maps, beta testing.
eXg. Mr. Pistol
OGame Alliance

Post by eXg. Mr. Pistol »

:shock: man u guys are so 1337.....i'm so far away from understanding how you guys do this s**t....[s**t in a good context] :wink:

Mr.P
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

3xH wrote:
eXg. CrUsH wrote:
3xH wrote:
eXg. CrUsH wrote:
3xH wrote:
eXg. CrUsH wrote:Hahahaha Oh and you cant ask me?

Format: TGA
Size: any value in multiples of 2. Example 128x128 or 128x64 or 512x64 or 56x22 whatever.

You need to make a "textures" folder in the same dir you have your "maps" directory. You also need a folder named "materials" which you will make your material file and place it in there, Then you have to make the textures. At a min. I have a editor image, and a diffuse image. But you can also make a bumpmap and specular if you want also.

I suggest the texture video tutorial by Brian Trepanning....
Dont forget the .DDS versions of all the textures for all the people that used the compressed versions :wink:

I LAFF at people that use DDS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats everyone not using Ultra quality :wink:

Including me! lol

I wouldnt say that. I could create a whole map with nothing but TGA's, then where would your DDS be?

The only plus ive heard about DDS is maybee load times......
Well, IIRC, it would indeed take longer to load the level if you only used tga, becuase the engine would have to compress them all during the loading sequence rather than just loading the pre-compressed textures.

Far better just to compress them in the first place :wink:

Hmmmm so in doom and quake they are converted when the map starts? Are you sure? Why wouldnt ID use all .DDS files then for textures. Or use DDS and have TGA's also?

LMAO WTF, text stealer!

3xH
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by 3xH »

eXg. CrUsH wrote:
3xH wrote:
eXg. CrUsH wrote:
3xH wrote:
eXg. CrUsH wrote:
3xH wrote:
eXg. CrUsH wrote:Hahahaha Oh and you cant ask me?

Format: TGA
Size: any value in multiples of 2. Example 128x128 or 128x64 or 512x64 or 56x22 whatever.

You need to make a "textures" folder in the same dir you have your "maps" directory. You also need a folder named "materials" which you will make your material file and place it in there, Then you have to make the textures. At a min. I have a editor image, and a diffuse image. But you can also make a bumpmap and specular if you want also.

I suggest the texture video tutorial by Brian Trepanning....
Dont forget the .DDS versions of all the textures for all the people that used the compressed versions :wink:

I LAFF at people that use DDS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats everyone not using Ultra quality :wink:

Including me! lol

I wouldnt say that. I could create a whole map with nothing but TGA's, then where would your DDS be?

The only plus ive heard about DDS is maybee load times......
Well, IIRC, it would indeed take longer to load the level if you only used tga, becuase the engine would have to compress them all during the loading sequence rather than just loading the pre-compressed textures.

Far better just to compress them in the first place :wink:

Hmmmm so in doom and quake they are converted when the map starts? Are you sure? Why wouldnt ID use all .DDS files then for textures. Or use DDS and have TGA's also?[/quote]

LMAO WTF, text stealer!
WTF? Somone edited my post? :shock:

Anyway, to answer the question.

The uncompressed TGA's are better quality as you loose some quality in the compression. In different quality settings the games uses different amounts of compressed textures.

In low quality everything is compressed

In Ultra quality nothing is compressed.

The reason the game compresses the textures is becuase the games stores them on your graphics card memory. Uncompressed assets use OVER 256mb of GFX memory. If you have a 64mb card, this would cause serious stuttering etc... hence why it says you need 512mb vid card for ultra quality mode (and 2x256 in SLI doesn't count, thats still 256mb :wink: ). If the you are running a mode that needs compression and compressed assets arent availible, then the game has to compress them.

I be knowing all that brotha! (good info tho) The thing that I was not clear on was the fact that evertime you start doom or quake the engine converts all the textures to DDS format during the loading time if you are running low quality?
m1nd
Quake 4 EU

Post by m1nd »

why dont u put a STANDARD EXG LOGO IN THE MAPS ANY OF U GUYS MADE . Somewhere as an Easteregg :) Behind a secret door put ExG clan logo with site or something. :lol: Mapped for awhile 2, haven't mapped for quake 4 yet

Twitch.TV MYTHICAL TEAM
LIVESTREAMS EVERYDAY!

Twitch.TV M1NDIFY
My own personal stream!. Be sure to follow/subscribe
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

m1nd wrote:why dont u put a STANDARD EXG LOGO IN THE MAPS ANY OF U GUYS MADE . Somewhere as an Easteregg :) Behind a secret door put ExG clan logo with site or something. :lol: Mapped for awhile 2, haven't mapped for quake 4 yet
Ahhhhhh, NOW you're talking.

8) 8) 8)

PuN

Return to “Development”