Religion?

Something about anything goes here.
CaMeL
Doom 3

Religion?

Post by CaMeL »

Ok, I am in a bit of a quandry. I have not been to church for 15 years, my wife recently started going back, however I do not go, I sleep in on Sundays. And I am finding that my beliefs are curved by science and facts. Its hard for me to understand a higher being and have faith in a higher being. I mean if got created the universe, how was god created.

I told my wife last night, while watching the "Ten Commandments", that everything that has ever happened in my life I can find the decision that i made that created the end result. I told her that if i can see that, why do i need god or a bible to tell me the same and to learn from my mistakes. I feel that I am in control of my destiny. I believe in trial and error. That is the human existance is trial and error. So if the bible was created almost as a moral code and books of people dictating or following through with that code, then why do i need it, if i am doing the same without it.

I am not trying to cause controversies, I am just wanting other peoples honest opinions on this subject.
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Hmmmm, I think that ultimately what's important is how you live your life, and act towards others. If you did go to church, but didn't really do much beyond that, that it would be for "show", and falsely done at that.
CaMeL
Doom 3

Post by CaMeL »

eXg. Pun1sher wrote:Hmmmm, I think that ultimately what's important is how you live your life, and act towards others. If you did go to church, but didn't really do much beyond that, that it would be for "show", and falsely done at that.
Ya, see i was forced to go to church when i was younger and i grew up in a pentacostal church. For those of you who dont know pentacostal, they believe in the "Holy Ghost or Spirit", they talk in tongues, etc. Can be scary for a little kid maybe. But i have always felt forced to accept GOD but now that I am older, I always treat people with kindness, as I would expect to be treated. I just dont feel that GOD tells me to do that, I grew up in a loving family, thats what forced me to do that. We are our environments.
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

I don't believe in a god or almighty being per say. To me the idea of a ghost or spirit that created everything does not make much logic sense. However I am all for the idea that there is some higher power that created everything, although I do not choose to worship it. Im very scientific, and I put my faith in the theories of scientific creation, ie universes. Its deep stuff, but it makes more sense to me. Its more logical. I also have a semi buddist/gian mentality about how life is recycled. I also believe in the theory of parallel universes due to the 11 dimensions. (Watch bbc parallel universes at bottom of post for more info on that)
I do not believe in a heaven or hell, or afterlife. To me life is a series of events your mind has put together, it is a lucky experience that we as humans get to witness. Our perception of life or reality is simply an experience or a way to interpreter the uninterpretable system around us. I think what was before life, I have no knowledge. So why would i live an afterlife where I could remember the previous? This is where the semi buddist/gian belief comes in. I believe everything is interconnected not just in our universe but all of them. Everything is a giant system of coexisting that literally does not exists in the sense of our reality we can not understand something that is impossible to perceive. Think of a limit. Think of the point of infinity, you can not perceive that point because it is impossible. I believe "god" per say is that point. To me creation is god, the system that is unperceiveable.

I personally may not affiliate myself with religion, but I think for the masses religion is often needed. It is a cushion or a way to comfort people in times of need or sorrow. It gives hope and spreads happiness. Also organized religion bands people together in community service and in spreading good morals.

You should morally live life fairly, and thus make choices that help the greatest number. This was the philosopher Mill's theory.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/Z7SDrj4Tjvk[/youtube]
CaMeL
Doom 3

Post by CaMeL »

eXg. sabooya wrote:I don't believe in a god or almighty being per say. To me the idea of a ghost or spirit that created everything does not make much logic sense. However I am all for the idea that there is some higher power that created everything, although I do not choose to worship it. Im very scientific, and I put my faith in the theories of scientific creation, ie universes. Its deep stuff, but it makes more sense to me. Its more logical. I also have a semi buddist/gian mentality about how life is recycled. I also believe in the theory of parallel universes due to the 11 dimensions. (Watch bbc parallel universes at bottom of post for more info on that)
I do not believe in a heaven or hell, or afterlife. To me life is a series of events your mind has put together, it is a lucky experience that we as humans get to witness. Our perception of life or reality is simply an experience or a way to interpreter the uninterpretable system around us. I think what was before life, I have no knowledge. So why would i live an afterlife where I could remember the previous? This is where the semi buddist/gian belief comes in. I believe everything is interconnected not just in our universe but all of them. Everything is a giant system of coexisting that literally does not exists in the sense of our reality we can not understand something that is impossible to perceive. Think of a limit. Think of the point of infinity, you can not perceive that point because it is impossible. I believe "god" per say is that point. To me creation is god, the system that is unperceiveable.

I personally may not affiliate myself with religion, but I think for the masses religion is often needed. It is a cushion or a way to comfort people in times of need or sorrow. It gives hope and spreads happiness. Also organized religion bands people together in community service and in spreading good morals.

You should morally live life fairly, and thus make choices that help the greatest number. This was the philosopher Mill's theory.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/Z7SDrj4Tjvk[/youtube]
WOW Sab, I think you hit it right on the head there for me. You summed it up for me better than i ever could and I thought I was the only one who felt exactly like that. I try to explain to people how I feel and that it can make sense to believe a god created everything but still believe in evolution and such. I find a way for it to make sense in my head in a way because of the way I grew up in southern baptist.

Sab, you and I myfriend are on the same wave length. you are very much better with words than I am. As you aspire in your technical computer career please dont lose that, you will get hired making big bucks because you can speak like a normal personan and put it in normal language. Thats one reason i got hired.

in the words of "The Nutty Professor" ~ "Let me put it in Rich dummy terms for you".
eXg. TrueGift
Forum Master

lol

Post by eXg. TrueGift »

I'm watching the 10 commandments, I believe in a god or a higher being sometimes because.. when things go wrong I kind of need someone to kind of look up too, and think of and believe that the desitiny i follow is what he created for me.. but when things go right - I believe there is an explination of science for everything... But the only thing that puzzles me is how was the universe created..? the big bang? what about before what created the universe and for anything toe ven explode for that matter.. only thing that puzzles me is that because after that i believe is science as the universe took it's own course and things slow just evolutionized :)
Despised or idolized... either way I'm recognized!
Don't be so quick to judge me You only see what I choose to show
CaMeL
Doom 3

Post by CaMeL »

thank you for sharing your opinion Conv. I want you to know that by me stating how i feel by religion should not in no way reflect as the views of exg nor should influence you in how you believe. There is nothing wrong with believing, just as long as its healthy.

So you guys know where i stand on this, i choose not to go to church, my wife accepts that, BUT, i do not however prevent my daughter from going. Simply because I want her to experience it and when she gets older and as she learns things it will be up to her to decide her own belief. I will not steer her in one way or another. I dont believe in putting people in a box and forcing them to make a choice. I will not be that guy to my daughter.
eXg. TrueGift
Forum Master

heh

Post by eXg. TrueGift »

eXg. CaMeL wrote:thank you for sharing your opinion Conv. I want you to know that by me stating how i feel by religion should not in no way reflect as the views of exg nor should influence you in how you believe. There is nothing wrong with believing, just as long as its healthy.

So you guys know where i stand on this, i choose not to go to church, my wife accepts that, BUT, i do not however prevent my daughter from going. Simply because I want her to experience it and when she gets older and as she learns things it will be up to her to decide her own belief. I will not steer her in one way or another. I dont believe in putting people in a box and forcing them to make a choice. I will not be that guy to my daughter.
lol no worries camel, MOST of the time - people never influence my beliefs but can make me question sometimes ;)
CaMeL
Doom 3

Post by CaMeL »

but to the ladder of my subject matter I watched a movie, can't remember the name, but the guy said "how can you believe in god if you can't prove he exists", the lady says, "you just have faith", lady looks at guy and says to the guy "Do you love your wife?", guy says "yes, definitly, without quesiton", lady says, "ok prove it, you keep asking me to prove god, you prove your love to your wife".

kinda got me thinking.
eXg. TrueGift
Forum Master

wow

Post by eXg. TrueGift »

wow camel you just like blew my mind lol hmmm....
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

A great illustration of the meaning of the word "faith" is the movie "Contact", starring Jodie Foster, based on the book by Carl Sagan.
http://www.the-emz.com/ - A Multiplayer Mod for Doom 3
eXg.Ground Zero
Forum Master

Post by eXg.Ground Zero »

I agree camel. I beleive in the big bang. I also believe that the earth can end in 2012 but dosnt nessorly mean god is doing it. It means the earth has to many life forms on its soil and some need to be eradicated.
"Friend ship lives in the soul of everyone"
eXg. TrueGift
Forum Master

do you think

Post by eXg. TrueGift »

eXg.Ground Zero wrote:I agree camel. I beleive in the big bang. I also believe that the earth can end in 2012 but dosnt nessorly mean god is doing it. It means the earth has to many life forms on its soil and some need to be eradicated.
Here's a question for you gz.. Do you think IT'S POSSIBLE that every 2012 years maybe the earth like dumps it's self and kind of like.. reborns it's self and again evolutions takes it's place to .. reborn everything and everybody? IS it a possible that this could of already happend 2012 years ago?
CaMeL
Doom 3

Post by CaMeL »

simulation wrote:A great illustration of the meaning of the word "faith" is the movie "Contact", starring Jodie Foster, based on the book by Carl Sagan.
YES THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Re: lol

Post by eXg. sabooya »

eXg. ConViction! wrote: I believe in a god or a higher being sometimes because.. when things go wrong I kind of need someone to kind of look up too, and think of and believe that the desitiny i follow is what he created for me.. but when things go right - I believe there is an explination of science for everything...
Ok i used to be like this, there was a time when i was heavy into religion, I actually find myself knowing more then many Christians about many aspects of Christianity and I do not practice it. Which is kind of sad...
Anyway, I started to realize the only times I "talked to god" was when I needed help, and I noticed many other people did the same. There were thanks for things in life, but it always seemed to me that people wanted something from god. God is not about that, a prayer is meant to ask for help for others, or for oneself in SERIOUS times of need. God seemed over abused in my life, and I didn't like it. I slowly drifted from organized religion which also i feel is very manipulative, after all the Catholic church is a business. That is not arguable I don't care if your the pope saying it's not, it is. There is profit.
I kind of did soul searching for a while claiming to be atheist or Buddhist, but i just developed my own beliefs based on what i learned and things I read about.
It wasn't like I woke up one day and decided GOD isn't real. I just developed my own spiritual beliefs over time. I'm not one for organized groups and I don't like being manipulated. Also I like to know where my money goes.

Back to you, you said when you need help you believe in god and ask for help. When life is good your all scientific. Personally I feel like this is very cowardly. Its like saying telling your friends you'll help them in a fight if they help you, and you never show up to help them and they always help you. As I said I was like this at one time and I decided I was being very immature by using god only when I needed help.

Its kind of hard to explain because im speaking as if I believe there is a god. But basically im saying its not right to flip flop like this. You need to do some soul searching decide what you believe and stick with it. Your still young but im talking about the mass public because so many people are like this.

I'm actually kind of biased too, I really do not like organized religion. I grew up with it and i felt like my church never gave a damn, I was part of 6 different churches same thing.

I could rant about this for hours. I'm open minded to all religions and if one day some one walks up to me and can convince me to commit to one then ill take it. I believe everyone should get along believe what they want I dont care, just dont condone me for telling you I dont believe in your god.
I hate closed minded people like this.

o PS: God is not a man or a woman people so often refer to "him" as such. The god depicted in the Bible is a spirit that created everything. It works through people. You said that you look up to god. I see this like looking for hope when there is nowhere else to turn. Why not just accept what is and work your hardest to improve? That is what i do.
eXg. CaMeL wrote:
simulation wrote:A great illustration of the meaning of the word "faith" is the movie "Contact", starring Jodie Foster, based on the book by Carl Sagan.
YES THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EPIC MOVIE :D

eXg. CaMeL wrote:
Sab, you and I myfriend are on the same wave length. you are very much better with words than I am. As you aspire in your technical computer career please dont lose that, you will get hired making big bucks because you can speak like a normal personan and put it in normal language. Thats one reason i got hired.
Dude im a beast at writing. I read alot as a kid and I used to write. I may be a techy but im good at simplifying things and not going overboard with the nerd. In fact most of my friends through high school and college were pretty below average on the academic level so that probably actually helped me to keep things on a normal level.

Return to “General Public Chat”