Reflex- Kickstarter Campaign- Help save Arena FPS!!

Something about anything goes here.
hadriel
Open Roster

Reflex- Kickstarter Campaign- Help save Arena FPS!!

Post by hadriel »

Hey all,

Since these kinds of games are our roots I figured I would leave this here. Reflex is a game currently in development by a small dev team in Australia. Their aim is to make a fast paced competitive fps game (looks similar to Q3 CPMA) coupled with all of the modern e-sports features that an fps game should have (ranked matchmaking, spectator features, VoIP, clans etc.)

Seems like a long-shot to try to get arena shooter back to the forefront of competitive gaming, but I'm willing to do what it takes to try!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/191095869/reflex
eXg. Frag///aster
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. Frag///aster »

sup man.. yeah I have heard the skinny on this. I'm sure that the fanboys over at esreality love it.

Funny at least there is one person that still kinda closet misses the genre as well. It seems that many of the old schoolers are always playing quake live, with the pro players. at least that is what I have been seeing.

I played a bunch of games the other day for example with a former Doomer by the name of Gopher. Who was a doom 3 very good player. played quakecon etc.

Anyways, I also went out on a limb because I have been thinking of this idea / topic for a while. I looked at Reflex, tbh in my opinion, it just looks like quake 3 cpma with robotic graphics, and player models. / weapons. Personal opinion.

People s**t on the game, but I liked quake 4 compared to quake 3 and osp, VQ3 , and CPMA because it brought a different set of movement / gameplay to the game, and brought about different skills from different players. You still saw the top guys in the scene, but for example now one could touch Toxic with that game, yet in Painkiller no one could touch VoO or Fatal1ty.

I was really hoping for the long lost Sever1ty to be something Unique and different. I recently spoke with Tom Mustaine about that game, and have sent that information to Pun. To put it this way, our beloved game type is one that has falled back to the underground. So, I feel like if we want a game to really come through. We need a combination of underground people like you are doing, working with the top people to push it to mainstream audience. But even then it might just become like a nexiuz. who knows.

I'll help anyway I can. Just let me know. Also, for those other people in eXg. that think I haven't been active. They are insane. I have been constantly playing 1v1 fps since doom 3. The difference has been, that they still ONLY play doom 3. I went on to play quake 4, and quake live with the rest of the world. Painkiller as well. Been training with sTermy, fatal1ty when he has time, and messing around with other pros to help get my game better.

Hit me up man, and lets get some games in, and chat more on this. do we have a vent channel?

Mark
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

The game is definitely a CPMA clone. And I'm probably one of the very few people that actually prefer Q4 to any other duel game as well. As much as I loved and played D3, I even preferred Q4 to that. It would be fantastic to see another duel fps game that has some new elements to it....

but let's be realistic, it's been ages now since a good duel game has come out. QL is fun still, but I really only play it because its the only thing out there that has people on it, I don't enjoy the game nearly as much as most other duel games, the features are ancient, and ID is doing absolutely nothing to modernize the game. EVERY single competitive game has ranked matchmaking...QL even has a built in ELO system and they still can't give us that, it's ridiculous. They want to start appealing to a more casual audience in order to get players in the game- I 100% agree, history shows that games can't stay competitive without the casual players backing. You need a big player base, viewers, etc...but adding in loadouts and making the game easier for new players isn't the solution. Where are the features that the casual community would need to play the game:

-ranked matchmaking so that they don't get stomped by pros
-twitch stream integration to increase viewership
-purchasable weapon skins/player skins similar to what made CSGO explode

I get that it's risky for ID to put the money into the game, because they have to see a return somewhere, and that's the problem, ID isn't willing to implement these kinds of things to modernize QL. Gameplay speaking, Reflex won't play like Q4, it won't be that innovative in respect to movement etc...but it has the features that no other modern arena shooter has ever brought to the table, and I think it's those features that give this game a chance at success.

The reality is- Reflex will probably fail...it likely won't reach its kickstarter campaign goal and features may need to be cut or things will be half-assed; or even if it does release it just won't capture the audience that it needs to keep afloat for long...but based on what I've seen so far (watched Vo0 streaming this game for a few hours yesterday), it's by far the most that anyone else has done for a new arena shooter. They have goals, they have a timeline and the game looks and runs gorgeous- so that for me is enough to back the game.

The steam release of QL has brought some players back to the game, servers are more populated than they've been in a long time, there's still lots of good players kicking around...but there's no sustainable growth, and no pull for new players to get into it. The learning curve is still ridiculously hard to duel and for a new player there is hardly any chance at viably finding enough duel practice partners at your level to improve...and even if you do, the competitive scene is virtually non-existent compared to say CS, where there are multiple leagues and tournaments going on every night of the week.

All that being said, I've started playing some QL again, balancing my time between that and CS :P I'm awful now, but it is fun to play some arena fps again. Maybe a new arena fps with huge competition is a pipedream, but what I've seen of reflex makes me more excited than any other game out there/that's been announced.

Sounds like you will mop the floor with me, but I'm down to get some games in sometime, just msg me ingame or add me on steam (if you just search 'hadriel' it should be easy to find me)

I don't think we've had any sort of vent or ts servers in several years now :s

As much as we have a few players that are still active here and there, it seems like eXg. as a whole is pretty well dead now. Everyone is inactive or split between tons of other games.
eXg. Frag///aster
Quake 4 US

fair enough. Who do I have to talk with to get an install of this to start playing with it.?

from what you said, I read it and then slept on it. I think you are right as far as adding all of the features to be something that will include the mass majority of people into a game in general.

From there, once this has caught up with the rest of the more popular games that are out now, maybe then we will start to see some advances in movement, and overall games in general with different engines.

I guess I just wanted to see a game made similar to this made off an entirely different game engine, like the ID tech 4 , or tech 5 engine for example, so that there COULD be different movement rather than the same old stuff.

I really enjoyed the actual Speed of quake 4.

That game literally when patches, and bug fixes finally came out.. The damn game was literally TOO fast for the maps that were created for it... it was crazy.. and then all of a sudden... wham.. dead game. and I really liked it a lot.
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

eXg. Frag///aster wrote:fair enough. Who do I have to talk with to get an install of this to start playing with it.?

from what you said, I read it and then slept on it. I think you are right as far as adding all of the features to be something that will include the mass majority of people into a game in general.

From there, once this has caught up with the rest of the more popular games that are out now, maybe then we will start to see some advances in movement, and overall games in general with different engines.

I guess I just wanted to see a game made similar to this made off an entirely different game engine, like the ID tech 4 , or tech 5 engine for example, so that there COULD be different movement rather than the same old stuff.

I really enjoyed the actual Speed of quake 4.

That game literally when patches, and bug fixes finally came out.. The damn game was literally TOO fast for the maps that were created for it... it was crazy.. and then all of a sudden... wham.. dead game. and I really liked it a lot.
The only person I know of that has a copy of whatever version is out there right now is vo0. I think he's somehow connected with the devs, or they reached out to him or something. The 'prototype' version of the game is supposed to be available at the end of this year...but I'm not sure if that goal depends upon the success of the kickstarter campaign or not. Access to the 'prototype' is pre-alpha and will be very similar to what the game looks like right now. You can get access through one of the levels of the kickstarter campaign, but I would imagine they will need to expand their playerbase and give some copies of the prototype out to pro players to start playing/streaming the game as promotion for the game- so your connections with the pro players may help out a lot there.

I loved Q4 movement and how fast it was after patches. Out of the box it had some issues and anyone who wasn't computer saavy would have had trouble patching up, getting q4max etc. just to play. Once WSVG died the competitive scene dried up really quick. It also didn't help that half the quake community rejected the game from the get-go and divided the already dwindling duel community basically in half.
eXg. Frag///aster
Quake 4 US

No I hear you. I blame those fuckers from esreality. same type of people. if it wasn't quake 3 then they were gonna crush it.

Many of them are shitting on reflex too.

I would punch half of them in the penis if I could
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

LOL. Yea the competitive duel community as a whole has always been very close-minded. It's unfortunate
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

Bumping this as the game got out of alpha and has now full released on steam as 'Reflex Arena'!

The game is waaaaay more polished than the alpha state. Unfortunately, not a huge player base, but I still have no problem finding duels with the ranked matchmaking system. It takes a couple of hours playing for it to figure out your proper matchmaking ELO and get you fair games, but as a whole it seems to do a decent job.

Highly recommended to anyone looking to a throwback to the doom or quake days. I've been playing a bunch with my brother eQuals. Also got some games in the other night with Shooter, deathrow, Kev, Thump4. Seen others like Rukus online as well! It'll take some time to learn the duel maps, but imo this is the best duel game out there for the time being...and if I had to guess, will likely be a better game than QC (but we'll see where the player base ends up).

Only $8.50 on steam right now and even full price the game is only $9.99. Well worth it even if you just want to get some duel nostalgia back for a few hours of fun!
eXg. ShooteR
Counter-Strike Source/Admin

Post by eXg. ShooteR »

If the gang is all on Reflex I'm gonna have to really start playing it more, I think I only have like 8 or so hours. I'll join you guys
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

eXg. ShooteR wrote:If the gang is all on Reflex I'm gonna have to really start playing it more, I think I only have like 8 or so hours. I'll join you guys
Unfortunately no one else has really joined in I don't think. Just me and Neil playing so far I think :?

Return to “General Public Chat”