New Guitar

Something about anything goes here.
eXg. D|stance
QuakeWars ET

New Guitar

Post by eXg. D|stance »

Here's my new guitar I finally finished after a couple of months of slowly buying parts.

I bought a cheap Mex Standard Strat and modded it from the ground up.

It has all new hardware, all the pansy stuff like pick guards back plate screws neck screws and plate lol

The main stuff is :

Sperzel tuners, non locking.

An earvana nut that helps to sort out the intonation between the 1st and 6th frets. The intonation is set with a peterson strobe and reads + or - 1 to 2 cents on all the lower frets and 0 at the 12th :) On my ibanez I can normally set the intonation at 0 on the 24th but strats are a pain but it feels and sounds great.

Graphtech string tree, string saddles and strap holders. The tree and saddles really help the tone.

Electronics wise it's a bit of a tone monster. I put Kent Armstrong specials on the neck and middle (Texas wound style) and a Kent Armstrong Hot Rail Mini Humbucker at the bridge.

The small switch is an on/on/on for the humbucker which goes from series to Coil cut (to split the humbucker to a single coil) to Parallel wiring.

There's the obligatory killswitch for muting or funky staccato sounds.

The main feature of it is the concentric pots. Each pot is wired per pick up so I have an individual Volume and tone for each pick up. The volumes on the top pot and the tone on the bottom. Each pot has a center dent so you can set the volume to the middle and each pickup will react the same.

Inside you'll see the whole of the body is shielded including the pickguard. The wire from the tremolo is grounded to the body shielding. All the grounds from the electrics are "star ground" to a floating ring connector and shielded with electrical tape. This is connected to one of the volume pots with a big ring connector so it is screwed on and then to a sprague .33 cap.

All the volume controls have a .001 orange drop caps for the treble bleed mod (so you don't loose treble when you turn the volume down) and the tones have the obligatory .47 sprague cap. The pots are all 500k.

I have a set of regular Ernie ball .10's on it and it's tuned to Eb. I normally prefer sets with a wound G but hard to get hold of in a pinch.

All in all it cost about £280 for the guitar and then another £500 for the parts lol

Shout out to www.wdmusic.co.uk (if that's allowed) for helping me with my numerous questions and selections over the past couple of months :)

I'm looking to post some samples up tomorrow but so far I've spent too much time finishing the set up and playing it!

supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

that reminds me ... i really need some work done on my fat strat. i've had it for over 5 years now and haven't changed a single thing on it. that probably has to do with the fact that i suck at guitar and can't seem to figure the damn instrument out.

piano, french horn, or mellophone? now those i pwn on.
better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt.
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Always liked the Strat sound. Makes me want one, and I'm a drummer. :O

PuN
eXg. D|stance
QuakeWars ET

Post by eXg. D|stance »

I've always been more rock/metal sounding with my guitars. I've started to realize that if you wan a strat sound you buy a strat, you can't emulate it :)

Now when can I afford a Les Paul? lol
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Black beauty ?

PuN
eXg. D|stance
QuakeWars ET

Post by eXg. D|stance »

More of a classic look but with a darker finish on the wood. Hell Why am I even torturing myself when I can't even afford it lol
eXg. Frag///aster
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. Frag///aster »

Well done mate.. well done.. I really like the look of the pickups on that.. very clean... Question tho.. what was your motivation for going with a non locking trem.. ??

I also have heard of locking ones that work in conjunction with a bridge where you can drop D tuning down a half step with just a simple tool.. Instead of being all hardcore and tuning it yourself every time you want to play certain songs, or having 6 guitars laying around. :)
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Hmmmm, I'm a drummer and am tough on tuned guitars, hehe, and know players that both use, and don't use locking tremilos. Is that a Floyd Rose ?

PuN
eXg. D|stance
QuakeWars ET

Post by eXg. D|stance »

Technically you can use the D-Tuna with a locking bridge to switch tunings but then there's no way the guitar will keep the intonation and floating bridges are a b***h to keep in tune. You tune a string sharp or flat and the other strings will go sharp or flat as well. If you bend a note and play another whilst you're bending the other note will also be out of tune.

I already have 2 guitars with floyd roses, I have another with a bridge like the fender but on that (and the fender) I have added more strings so the bridge is effectively fixed. the guitars stay in tune and have better action and intonation because of it.

Personally like a different guitar for different tunings as every guitar sounds different anyway. I'm just a guitar whore lol
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

eXg. D|stance wrote: I'm just a guitar whore lol
This is NEXT:

PuN
eXg. D|stance
QuakeWars ET

Post by eXg. D|stance »

I think that's a copy of the one the guy from Cheap Trick plays Not very ergonomic :)

Return to “General Public Chat”