getting that itch again..

Something about anything goes here.
mikE_
Forum Junkie

getting that itch again..

Post by mikE_ »

how is everyone? long time no see.

i've been playing left4dead on live and it has me missing that fast paced fps competition from quake/doom. wouldn't mind coming back for doom4 whenever it's released.

first things first, i need a new pc. i don't really have the time or energy to build one again, so i'm looking at getting a dell xps 730x. i am looking to spend $1500-2000 and i already have a 24" monitor. any recommendations on the setup? also, should i wait around for a coupon? i have taken off as much as 40% from dell purchases in the past, but i don't know how often they release xps desktop coupons.

wouldn't mind playing a few d3 edge 1on1's again as well..
eXg. Phenom
Open Roster

Post by eXg. Phenom »

Hey Mike! Nice to see you again!
1500-2000 is more than enough money to set yourself up with a top notch gaming rig. If you have your heart set out on Dell, than I would agree with you that the 730x is your best bet. However, after looking at the 730x's specs, I think you can get A LOT more if you build the pc yourself.
Have you considered buying parts and doing a custom build? You'll save money and get more, but you risk losing that sexy Dell warranty. The choice is up to you, but I love building computers because of the lower cost. I recommend it. I don't know much about Best Buy's deals/ Rewardzone, but I think Jago has an extensive knowledge in that department.

Dell XPS 730x
-Intel Corei7 920
-Windows Vista Home Premium
-16x CD/DVD Burner
-3GB DDR3 @ 1066mhz
-500GB HDD @ 7200RPM
-Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512mb

Final Price - $1,599

Custom Build (same parts - Newegg)
-Intel Corei7 920
-16x CD/DVD Burner
-3GB DDR3 @ 1066mhz
-500GB HDD @ 7200RPM
-Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512mb

Final Price - $1,044

Phenom's Recommendation
-Intel Corei7 950
-CoolerMaster Storm Scout PC Case
-750GB HDD @ 7200RPM
-Nvidia Geforce GTX285 1GB
-Creative Soundblaster X-Fi
-Antec Truepower 650watt
-OCZ Flex 4GB(2x2GB) @ 2000mhz
-Asus Rampage II

Final Price - $1,701

For $102 more, you can get a better graphics card, cpu, motherboard, RAM, HDD, sound card, and case. Not a bad deal :)
mikE_
Forum Junkie

Post by mikE_ »

thanks for your input phenom. i built my last pc and ordered it from newegg. when i tried to upgrade a couple summers ago, it stopped working and i did not have the desire or time to fix it. at this point, i don't care for the stress of a custom build or the time it takes from start to finish.

i was thinking about the $1,699 version of the xps 730x with 6gb ram. i can't decide on which video card.. any suggestions?
eXg. Phenom
Open Roster

Post by eXg. Phenom »

mikE_ wrote: i was thinking about the $1,699 version of the xps 730x with 6gb ram. i can't decide on which video card.. any suggestions?
In my opinion I would upgrade the graphics card to the Single GTX285 or the dual GTX260's. they cost the same. the dual GTX260's will give you longer lasting performance and lower temperatures while the the GTX285 will give you stronger performance and the ability for future upgrades.
mikE_
Forum Junkie

Post by mikE_ »

any thoughts on alienware? i had one 10yrs ago and it served me well. it seems i can configure one at around the same price as dell. with the 730x, i don't have many options and it basically jumps from 1699 to 3000 in price, and i don't have s**t options as far as video cards unless i jump up to the 3k price range.

with alienware i have configured the following:
Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8MB Cache
Alienware® Approved CPU Liquid Cooling
Alienware® 750 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Single 1,792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295
6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 3 x 2048MB
500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache

$1,974
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

Give them a try mike. But personally i'd shop around on newegg or ebay and just do yourself.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
eXg. Phenom
Open Roster

Post by eXg. Phenom »

I think Alienware is a bit more overprices then Dell is but, like you said, they are more focused on the gaming aspect and they allow for a lot more options.
The next best thing to building your own, would probably be Alienware.
mikE_
Forum Junkie

Post by mikE_ »

eXg. Phenom wrote:I think Alienware is a bit more overprices then Dell is but, like you said, they are more focused on the gaming aspect and they allow for a lot more options.
The next best thing to building your own, would probably be Alienware.
yeah i mean i am fine with spending an extra 500 to avoid any hassle. i honestly just don't have it in me to build a computer right now.

any suggestions on an alienware config or comments on the one i listed?
eXg. Phenom
Open Roster

Post by eXg. Phenom »

The Area 51 X-58 is a good pc. If you want to upgrade the cpu or gpu though, you will have to pay a pretty penny.
eXg. Frag///aster
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. Frag///aster »

Big MikE_ sup man good to see you again.. Yeah I feel you on the whole Doom 3 Quake scene.. Quake live has left a few players feeling shitted on because of the learning curve to compete against dudes that are just nasty at the game.. No worries.. I hope that a new game will arrise and take the place of that. Rage looks cool, and who knows what the multiplayer for that will be like. Plus Doom4 is under way. So I imagine it will run similar to Rage since the Tech 5 engine to my knowledge is being used. Basically Doom 3 that doesn't crash your rig or cause smoke to pour from it. ;)

But heck yeah.. Honestly, I started playing painkiller again to ramp up my game play pace against a few really good players. I am also trying to do my best when it comes to Quake live but its rather difficult. I don't fair well against players that just stand off and rail you. Then again thats the best part about doom.. no rail gun. muahaha.
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

WB mike_, and I'm with you on the "time" thing as I'm totally in that situation myself. Phennie has tossed up some very good comparison setups, and I vote for the 285 myself.
eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore

Post by eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore »

I pm'ed you Mike.

I talk about what it is i think you should do. I would have posted it here but i had a message already from you in my mailbox so i just responded to that pm..

Jago
Karnage xX
Forum Visitor

Post by Karnage xX »

I just bought a new machine and it runs awesome only spent 1,069 exactly and I got Crysis Maximum Edition with it.

Here it is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883227149
Only the Strong Will Survive
Killswitch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MuQDeNX_s4
Tyrant I had to mess with you and pick my own video
mikE_
Forum Junkie

Post by mikE_ »

dell and alienware are out. i will probably configure one from ibuypower.com, assuming i'm not wasting TOO much money
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

mikE_ wrote:dell and alienware are out. i will probably configure one from ibuypower.com, assuming i'm not wasting TOO much money
ibuypower is a very bad company there tech support is bad and shipping there pc are more likely to be damage. Check out newegg reviews about people buying the ibuypower pc's.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Return to “General Public Chat”