need a new mouse

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
supercat1
Forum Elite

need a new mouse

Post by supercat1 »

so i'm definitely in need of a new mouse. anyone that has played cod4 with me can probably attest to hearing me pound my mouse on my desk because i get frustrated with it. and no, it isn't user problems if you were gonna suggest that. :P the problems only started once i got my razer headphones because i'm pretty positive the magnets in it mess with the wireless signal or the receiver which causes it to just stop responding or extremely jumpy motion. so yeah, i know, don't use wireless.

well, what i have found a couple that i think i want: the microsoft sidewinder, the logitech m9, m5, mx518. of course i'd be interested in a razer mouse, but i don't know crap about them and their styling doesn't look like it would be comfortable. the only thing holding me back from currently buying a mouse is that there is no place here in town where i can try one out, so i need some help from anyone with any of these mice -- what do you think?
better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

What DPI preference do you have? I truly believe that I use the best mouse there is.

What mouse were you using before, and what kind of requirements are you looking for?

right handed specific or ambi, button count, dpi, on the fly switching, etc.

i use the most comfortable mouse I've ever seen. I understand that the Logitech G9 beats the Sidewinder across the board. The mx518 is a classic, and there are a lot of eXg'ers (or were) that use that one.
I use the MS Intellimouse Explorer, and can say that I discovered at Quakecon last year that it is the most common choice for people whose paychecks depend on a high performance/accuracy/comfort mouse. I have my USB polling rate on the mouse port at 500hz. I've never had any skipping, and you can game for hours with no comfort issues.
I also own the Razer Death Adder, which Elyse (Spacegirl) uses on my other computer. Here at work I use the Logitech G5.

Overall, I'd recommend the I.E. 3.0 to anyone at the drop of a hat, but some people get hung up on it being 400dpi and think that more is better.
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

right now i'm using the microsoft wireless intellimouse v2. it is essentially the same as the v3 but wireless. and yeah, i love its ergonomics. i have been looking at the razer habu because apparently it has the intellimouse shape (for the most part) but with razer functionality. which would be pretty nice.

but i have heard mixed reports on whether or not the sidewinder beats the g9. it appears to be a toss up between preference on mouse size.

definitely do not really want an ambidextrous mouse because those generally hurt my wrist because of how the hand sits. and since i'm using an explorer mouse i do need to have at least as many buttons as i currently have (so 5).

dpi isn't a huge issue, but adjustable does make more choices available.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

eXg. supercat1 wrote:right now i'm using the microsoft wireless intellimouse v2. it is essentially the same as the v3 but wireless. and yeah, i love its ergonomics. i have been looking at the razer habu because apparently it has the intellimouse shape (for the most part) but with razer functionality. which would be pretty nice.

but i have heard mixed reports on whether or not the sidewinder beats the g9. it appears to be a toss up between preference on mouse size.

definitely do not really want an ambidextrous mouse because those generally hurt my wrist because of how the hand sits. and since i'm using an explorer mouse i do need to have at least as many buttons as i currently have (so 5).

dpi isn't a huge issue, but adjustable does make more choices available.
Completely understandable. I'm not sure which intellimouse you're using, perhaps the 4.0, with tilt wheel, but the 3.0 does not have a wireles version.

I'd prefer the Razer D.A. over the Habu for a few reasons, but if you want a better overall rundown on the best mouse performance you could use this

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1265679

Keep in mind this is not going to have the absolute newest, but there really hasn't been anything that impressive come out lately anyway. The only things worth mentioning are the Ikari's by SteelSeries, the Sidewinder by M$, and the Razer Boomslang and Lachesis. The rest of the best are included though.
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

eXg. f0cus wrote:Completely understandable. I'm not sure which intellimouse you're using, perhaps the 4.0, with tilt wheel, but the 3.0 does not have a wireles version.
the one i have is the v2.0 which came out before the v3.0 (i think a couple months difference). they are nearly identical, however the name has changed since i got my v2.0. it is now known as the optical mouse 5000. they are otherwise identical mice i believe. and in fact, if you go to install the intellimouse drivers they v2 is still listed on there XD. however, it is completely identical to the intellimouse explorer (which i thought was the v3.0 until i double checked).
eXg. f0cus wrote:I'd prefer the Razer D.A. over the Habu for a few reasons, but if you want a better overall rundown on the best mouse performance you could use this

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1265679

Keep in mind this is not going to have the absolute newest, but there really hasn't been anything that impressive come out lately anyway. The only things worth mentioning are the Ikari's by SteelSeries, the Sidewinder by M$, and the Razer Boomslang and Lachesis. The rest of the best are included though.
yeah, the boomslang costs way too damn much for me. and i absolutely HATE the aesthetics of the logitech mice. they just look butt ugly to me and don't really want them to uglify my desk. of course the sidewinder isn't beautiful either, but logitech's mice don't tend to fit my hand either. :(

just really sucks that i don't have a place to try out mice. that would really solve the problem right there.
eXg. Suyko
Doom 3

Post by eXg. Suyko »

forget the wireless, go logitech G5, wired ftw (the new models have an xtra thumb button)
Perfect1on
Forum Elite

Post by Perfect1on »

Yea, Logitech G5 ftw. I bought this s**t and outperformed every mouse i've ever had.
Specs:
Amd 4800+ Dual Core (2.41ghz)
BFG 8800gt oc 512mb
Asus M2n32-sli motherboard
WD 150 Raptor X harddrive (10,000rpm, 16mb cache)
3 gigs of Corsair XMS ram
550w PSU Antec
X-fi Fatal1ty sound blaster
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

Mircosoft Sidewinder FTW its bigger then the g5 and fits your hands. Well worth 80bucks :)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

eXg. supercat1 wrote:
eXg. f0cus wrote:Completely understandable. I'm not sure which intellimouse you're using, perhaps the 4.0, with tilt wheel, but the 3.0 does not have a wireles version.
the one i have is the v2.0 which came out before the v3.0 (i think a couple months difference). they are nearly identical, however the name has changed since i got my v2.0. it is now known as the optical mouse 5000. they are otherwise identical mice i believe. and in fact, if you go to install the intellimouse drivers they v2 is still listed on there XD. however, it is completely identical to the intellimouse explorer (which i thought was the v3.0 until i double checked).

just really sucks that i don't have a place to try out mice. that would really solve the problem right there.
Those are all versions of the 4.0. The I.E. 3.0 is a completely different optical engine.
I'm talking about this one.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gamin ... px?pid=087
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

okay, well i know that i have had this mouse for like 1.5 years so ... for what its worth. anyways, the box i have says v2.0. :D

but yeah, i'm gonna hit up best buy here in town and other places to see if i can try some stuff out. any in-depth opinions are welcome. ;)
eXg. Shedao Shai
Counter-Strike Source

Post by eXg. Shedao Shai »

i vote logitech g5... its what i pwn n00bs with
eXg. Pheon1x
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. Pheon1x »

Well my mouse suxz0rz I have a logitech Click...lol

its a piece of crap

Im lookin for a new mouse as well..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Question..Whats the dif between a laser and a Optical eye mouse?

And ive been looking at the G9 and G5 for a while then Cat posted a link to the Sidewinder and ive heard a bit about that mouse...just never took the time to read about it and now im liking this more then the g5 BUT...i am still wanting to know if thers a Major dif on the sidewinder to the G9

So what im asking...: Whats better in comparison a G9 or a SideWinder?

(srry supercat lol)
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

no worries haxor, but i get the feeling that we have a bunch of lg fanbois here. ;) seriously though, it does seem that no one has the sidewinder. the tests that focus posted do put me towards the razer mice though. and generally i like razer hardware (though their driver software could use some un-"edginess" too it).
eXg. Shedao Shai
Counter-Strike Source

Post by eXg. Shedao Shai »

im waiting for Frag///aster to post up his love for anything that says fatality on it
Mogwai {KAN}
Forum Bot

Post by Mogwai {KAN} »

I use a mouse with a ball...not a sensor one..I think it helps with stoping delays...I noticed that with my mouse that I got with my comp..(the sensor mouse)...Don't know what you all think..but definately a mouseball one is better.

-The Mog-
ImageImage

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”