need a new mouse

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

okay, official word is i'm getting a deathadder. now i just gotta choose between the normal, the cpl, or the guild wars versions. XD i'm gonna order it next weekend after i get my paycheck.

(going normal just if you were wondering)
better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt.
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

so yeah ... um, ruh-roh?

and yes, one of these IS going to back. i'll be taking some metrics and posting impressions as time goes on. in fact, i'll even post some demos of me on cod4 and possibly some other games just to illustrate how they play.

time to have some fun. :D
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

:O

Now you done and did it. :)

I'm assuming the Death Adder is a uni mouse ?? If so could you give an unbiased (if I was a lefty) review on it.

PuN
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

It's a right-handers mouse. It's basically a razer-ized I.E. 3.0 (that's how "razerguy" described it on their forums when it first came out.)
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

which is why i picked it up. aside from recommendations i liked how it felt in the store. also, they had the lachesis but i wasn't gonna pay another $80 right then. maybe if neither of these mice are what i'm looking for i'll try out the lachesis and the sidewinder (they were both there). or the mx518 which was also there. i truly was surprised by what my best buy had today.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

Damn i wish my hometown had a best buy. :evil:

I have to travel like, 100 miles, no kidding, to get to the nearest Best Buy.
:evil: :evil:
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

time to move out of bfe. ;)
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

well, here are some quick initial thoughts on the g5:

1. i like the dpi switching, overall it works really well.
2. the ergonomics aren't too bad. relatively close to my ms mouse, so i can deal.
3. it is standard logitech ugly.
4. clicky scroll wheels are shitty.
5. the thumb buttons are tricky. apparently they don't send the correct windows commands by default and take some work to properly activate. go figure, but now that that is corrected, it is working fine.

Code: Select all

/*pure trash.  frankly, what is the point of putting a button on if you are not going to give the use control of the timing of the press?  i mean seriously, this lack of feature is going to send the mouse back to best buy.  i have to use my thumb buttons for grenades and i have to be able to cook the grenades.  since i can't cook with this mouse i can't use this mouse.

if anyone knows how to fix this huge oversight, please let me know.  otherwise, i'm done with this mouse forever and ever amen.*/
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

starting to use the razer deathadder. i like the ergonomics much better. and i like the overall material much better. and i like the scroll wheel much better ... and i just stared at the glowing razer emblem for like a full minute just there cause it is pulsing, which is kinda cool.

but, i must say i'm already missing the g5's dpi switching. the deathadder does allow for it, but you lose one of the other buttons on the mouse. i'll probably put it on the mouse wheel button since i don't use it for anything else.

i'm getting more and more sure that i'll just keep both anyways. XD
Mogwai {KAN}
Forum Bot

Post by Mogwai {KAN} »

sensor or ball...I use a ball mouse and I love it..no delay time..so I'm quick to the draw.

-The Mog-
ImageImage
Grinder {IFZ}
Forum Bot

Post by Grinder {IFZ} »

I got a sidewinder and couldnt use it :( .
the reason is that it is difficult to pick up like the g5 and depends on how you use your mice .If you just use you arm to move it then its very good because it has loads if buttons differnt dpi and is very accurate and fast.
If you need to pick your mouse up and use you fingers to move it then forget it because its impossible to grip propperly.
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

okay, so some quick final thoughts. i'll post much deeper thoughts in the near future.

g5v2
pros: drivers, buttons are high quality, dpi switching, ergo for the thumb is awesome, material, weight system
cons: ugly as hell, mouse wheel is too clicky, ergo for the fingers is pretty bad, dpi switching buttons don't always register clicks

deathadder
pros: looks, buttons, ergo of the entire thing, weight, "on the fly sensitivity" system, mouse wheel is smooth with minute clicks
cons: drivers, profile button is on the bottom of the mouse

honestly, razer has an awesome mouse with two huge issues -- the profile button should NEVER be on the bottom of the mouse, it makes it completely useless while in use. also, the drivers need to be overhauled and trashed. i'm actually gonna attempt to write my own driver for it and see how that goes, or see if i can hack it to use the ms mouse driver since those are actually quite good.
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

No one here has really mentioned the g9.. which is what I'm currently using.

It is a laser mouse, which really bothers a lot of people, even myself at first... but I still like it a lot better than my g5, 518,mx1000. (yes I like logitech mice :P)

The one thing I've always hated about pretty well all logitech mice is the sticky thumb wheels, but the g9 takes the same scroll wheel as the mxrevolution, which is sick. The mouse itself is pretty ugly, but it's the most comfortable thing I have ever used, and the adjustable weights, grips and on-the-fly dpi change are all sexy. Costs a pretty penny, but I got mine extremely cheap, so it didn't bother me. I'd recommend at least trying it out. It's not for everyone though, it's a pretty small mouse.

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”