RAM

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
mrgreen_
Forum Bot

RAM

Post by mrgreen_ »

I have 2 GB ram right now but I always use tons of intensive programs, money is not a problem as this stuff is mega cheap, but I just want to know if it's worth it to have 4GB of ram on a 32BIT XP system. I heard XP caps you out or something. Still it's only $25 for what I need.......so....to buy it or not? THX :D
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

you need xp 64bit i'd only recommand 4GB of ram if your using vista
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

well two more gigs won't do you any good on xp 32bit. however, one more gig will. depending on your system you will get between 2.75 and 3 gigs of memory recognized by xp 32bit. and do not get xp 64bit. that would just be a bad idea. and vista 32bit will not recognize more memory than xp 32bit. to use a full 4 gigs (or more) you need to get a full 64bit os like vista 64bit.
better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

eXg. supercat1 wrote:well two more gigs won't do you any good on xp 32bit. however, one more gig will. depending on your system you will get between 2.75 and 3 gigs of memory recognized by xp 32bit. and do not get xp 64bit. that would just be a bad idea. and vista 32bit will not recognize more memory than xp 32bit. to use a full 4 gigs (or more) you need to get a full 64bit os like vista 64bit.
^^^^^^^^^^^

A+
m1nd
Quake 4 EU

Post by m1nd »

I got 64bit windows xp pro and its working like a charm ;)

got me drivers supported etc.... ( sure i checked before installing )

lol i only have 1gig ram but thinking bout getting some 4gig set

Twitch.TV MYTHICAL TEAM
LIVESTREAMS EVERYDAY!

Twitch.TV M1NDIFY
My own personal stream!. Be sure to follow/subscribe
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

well, xp 64bit takes a lot of work to get running since the driver support has never been there. it is effectively just a reskinned server2003 distro if i remember correctly. but if you have the time to find the drivers then yeah it probably isn't horrible. however, ms has discontinued support for xp 64bit so getting it now is especially not a good idea.
mrgreen_
Forum Bot

Post by mrgreen_ »

K I'll get 1 more gig

Does it have to be the same as my existing 2 GB of ram or can it be any manufacturer?

Thanks fellaz
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

wast3d wrote:K I'll get 1 more gig

Does it have to be the same as my existing 2 GB of ram or can it be any manufacturer?

Thanks fellaz
manufacturer isn't important, mhz and timing are, however.
mrgreen_
Forum Bot

Post by mrgreen_ »

Right now I have the following RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220040

Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Could you recommend me an additional stick I can go ahead and get? And are my existing sticks up to your mhz and timing specifications or are they dated?

Sorry for all the noob questions, it's better I ask then buy the wrong stuff though!
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

well the timing and speed are mostly gonna be dictated by the motherboard you have. if you have a motherboard that uses ddr instead of ddr2/3 then you are limited to that speed/range of ram. i'd say find a single stick of the same type of memory for simplicity. otherwise look at the spec tab for your current memory and find another stick that matches those same timing numbers.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

wast3d wrote: And are my existing sticks up to your mhz and timing specifications or are they dated?

Not an issue of whether or not they are dated, I mentioned the mhz and timings as important as opposed to the manufacturer when I thought you were just adding more ram to the existing ram you're using now.
It doesn't matter if they're Corsair, Crucial, GSkill or what as long as the timing and mhz are the same for all of them.

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”