Google Chrome

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
Contro
Forum Master

Google Chrome

Post by Contro »

http://www.google.com/chrome

I'm posting from it right now. It's pretty nice; it's a lot faster than Firefox... what the s**t. Ok, found a bug. But anyways, it's pretty streamlined, has a lot of interesting features. Only things I'm not liking so far is the fact that you have to open a new tab and go to Google to search for anything, and the "Open New Tab" option is not on the page, but instead hidden in a taskbar. And apparently, every time the word wraps around to the next line in a text box, it like... disappears from view. And when you try to hit backspace, you delete the text, but it's still there... idk.

Anyways, try and see what you think. It's nice for a beta that was released today, although this word wrap bug is getting annoying...
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

tried it for the day. was not impressed. it was only faster than firefox like 50% of the time. and on top of that i don't like the way it looks. and all the options are hidden away way too far. we'll see if google takes the time to flesh this out farther or let it sit in beta permanently like gmail.
better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt.
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Sounds interesting. Fixed URL. :)

PuN
Contro
Forum Master

Post by Contro »

eXg. supercat1 wrote:tried it for the day. was not impressed. it was only faster than firefox like 50% of the time. and on top of that i don't like the way it looks. and all the options are hidden away way too far. we'll see if google takes the time to flesh this out farther or let it sit in beta permanently like gmail.
Yeah, it's pretty bland for my liking. I have this awesome black skin on my Vista Firefox... it would be nice if Google came out with something similar for Chrome, instead of forcing people to use the default white. IMO, the only things I could really ask for are the option for new tab/window buttons on my taskbar, along with a search box.

I found the search browsing history thing kinda useless. Usually if a page is interesting to me, I just bookmark it. I dunno how to take it off the page either... if they have other apps for it, I'd like to use something besides that.
eXg. Phenom
Open Roster

Post by eXg. Phenom »

It takes me like 1.5 seconds max to open up a website on firefox, anything faster than really wouldn't make any difference for me.
eXg. Mezzfit
Forum Bot

Post by eXg. Mezzfit »

I really think that it is noticeably faster than the other browsers. Albeit by fractions of a second. Also the entire way that the browser works is more efficient and makes better use of flash and javascript runtime environments
Damn, I was blinded by science.
eXg. D|stance
QuakeWars ET

Post by eXg. D|stance »

By using chrome you are signing an agreement to give google access to all the sites you surf, all your passwords and usernames and anything else you care to type in it.
Mine is UN installed , think about it ;)
Last edited by eXg. D|stance on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaMeL
Doom 3

Post by CaMeL »

You need to read more about it. The hole browser is multi-threaded, multi-process which means everytime you open a tab you get a new process running in task manager. Now good thing is, is that if one tab crashes the browser doesnt crash, but tests show that it used more than 80% of system resources compared to ie8 beta. Mind you, Chrome is still in beta. But IE8 beta only used 8% resources doing the same tasks.

I myself am an ie fan, i dont particularly like mozilla.

on another note, a rumor is going around that google is getting into the open source OS market. basically everything will be held online. YOUR ENTIRE DESKTOP. yes these are rumors but i dont know if i want the internet controlling my access to my desktop.

just my two cents

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”