4870X2 vs GTX 280

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

4870X2 vs GTX 280

Post by eXg. focus »

There was a lot of talk that the 4870 x2 was going to "demolish" the GTX 280, and while I was aware that it was going to be a real beast, I just can't deal with the microstuttering issues that all x2/crossfire/sli setups/cards have. If i only played single player games I'm sure I wouldn't mind a bit, but since I'm still playing more Q4 than anything else, I simply can't do the multi-gpu thing.

Well, it turns out it's not so "demolished" after all anyway.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getart ... rticID=864

So when you factor in the single GPU lack of microstuttering, I'm quite happy with my purchase, though it was a pretty penny.
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

interesting. that sucks for amd. however, i still recommend an 8800gt to most people because of the price and performance are great. plus, with dx11 coming out sooner than later, no card you currently buy is 100% dx11 compliant and as such you are just putting money down the drain if you want to upgrade to dx11.
better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt.
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Excellent points, and linkage. I don't hate on ATI, but I have just never had any good luck with them. I do remember way back in the day with my Voodoo/VoodooII setups and the jumper cable method as it was the only game in town. Ever since I went over to NVidia however, I've never had anything or any reason to switch. The review you linked showed pretty even scores. Little here and there, but overall, no blowouts. The NVidia did however blow ATI out of the water with thermals and wattage IMO. Anyone with a power bill appreciates that.

I second what SuperCat1 said about the 8800GT's and f0cus has said that in the past, so I guess we have the 3 amigos here on that one. I am spec'ing out a new build for FantasyJack (our OGame squad and co-worker) and was very suprised to see how low the 88's price is coming down. It's almost a crime NOT to buy two.

I'm almost done fixing up after the SP3 disaster and I'm at about 16K in 3DMark 06 with my very cheap e6750 oc'd to almost 3.66GHz on air, and my SLI 8800 GT's haven't even been overclocked yet.

NVidia FTW IMO.

PuN
Grinder {IFZ}
Forum Bot

Post by Grinder {IFZ} »

I'm almost done fixing up after the SP3 disaster and I'm at about 16K in 3DMark 06 with my very cheap e6750 oc'd to almost 3.66GHz on air, and my SLI 8800 GT's haven't even been overclocked yet.

NVidia FTW IMO.

very nice :)
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

eXg. supercat1 wrote:interesting. that sucks for amd. however, i still recommend an 8800gt to most people because of the price and performance are great. plus, with dx11 coming out sooner than later, no card you currently buy is 100% dx11 compliant and as such you are just putting money down the drain if you want to upgrade to dx11.
(yes, I know this is an old thread)

Hey, I'm kind of getting the impression that Directx11 will NOT require new hardware, and that it should run on dx10 gpu's. I'm basing this on some stuff I've read about the Big Bang II beta drivers for Nvidia.
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

That's good news so no more need to upgrade s**t.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

yes, ms has said that dx11 will run on dx10 as it is an evolution instead of total rebuild (like dx10 was supposed to be originally compared to dx9). however that does not mean you are going to get the full benefit of the dx11 feature set. plus, amd and nvidia will use that as an excuse to release new cards.

however, i would expect nvidia to try and utilize their current cards as much as possible as they are still losing money over the 84xx and 85xx series of cards. those cards are starting to fail left and right and the mobile versions have been failing for going on a year now i believe. if this news were to hit the mainstream nvidia would be sunk. i have a thread with links to info about this in the general chat i believe.
better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt.

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”