Adsl modem

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
eXg. FroggY
Open Roster

Adsl modem

Post by eXg. FroggY »

Ok guys, i have a problem with my actual modem which is a box my isp rent me.I can have TV that i don't watch, phone that i don't use and the net.I made a trace route and it appears that the inventel router makes an incredible worldwide journey to send my pakets to the server i want to connect...Do you think that replacing this router with a good ethernet modem could solve the problem?Or can i fix it in the actual router by forcing the route?I'm a bit lost and i'd like to solve it!Any Idea?
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

:(

No, sorry. The router only handles routing on your side of the connection. As in, between the modem, and the computers. It doesn't make any difference once you get outside past the modem.
Replacing the modem could possibly get you better speeds, but if you have lousy routing externally (isp side) there's honestly not a whole lot that can be done about that.
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

Get a new ISP :P

eXg. FroggY
Open Roster

Post by eXg. FroggY »

eXg. CrUsH wrote:Get a new ISP :P
That's probably what i'm going to do :roll: Maybe a modem to recommand? Thank you anyway guys :wink:
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

Focus is prolly the best one for that question.

For cable interfaces, the Motorola Surfboard modem has always been solid for me.

eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

I 2nd getting a new ISP as they are in charge of the actual routing. As far as cable models go, Motorola Surfboards rock, so I second Crush on that one as well.
eXg. FroggY
Open Roster

Post by eXg. FroggY »

Thank you guys, i just have to wait for my isp to let me go(i still owe 6 months) then i go to another one.and fiber is being deployed nowadays so even if i live in the country side i guess it's gonna be far better :lol:

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”