Slight overclocking today.....

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Slight overclocking today.....

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

/rape

On air btw...

eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

awesome. that thing multitasks like a monster, eh?
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

Oh man, this thing is a monsta! It overclocks 3.4 to 3.5 on stock voltages. Anything above that and it gets real tricky. Took me about 3 hours to really get a hang of it. But yeah, well worth the extra couple of bucks compared to the amd side. I was going to wait for am3 with ddr3 support that supports Nvidia sli but I couldnt wait any longer.

Ill prolly redo my overclock and see if I can get my base clock at 200mhz with a 2:8 ratio witht the memory and the multiplier at 17. That way the proc will be at 3.4 and the memory at 1600mhz. I wasnt having that much luck trying to get that going the other day. Might try a bios update and try again.

Do you know how hot Vreg temps can get before its too high? Or if you know any tricks to maybee add heatsinks to them to keep them cooler?

I'm no pro when it comes to cpu overclocking and it seems as though its getting more and more tricky. Soooooo many diff voltages to change in bios!

eXg. Man0waR
Doom 3

Post by eXg. Man0waR »

Took me a week to get my c2d oc'ed the way i wanted.

Some impressive results, 3 hours = 2 mins on the extreme, unlocked multiplier makes for some easy ass OCing. For the extra $700 vs a couple hours its not worth it :P

How difficult was it to figure out, the FSB isnt tied to the ram like it used to be, im not sure how the whole thing works yet... Somebody buy me an i7 for learning purposes!!! 8)
ImageImageImageImage
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

The hardest part was figuring which voltages are making the biggest impact on making it stable. There are seriously about 7 voltages or more that you may or may not have to tweak. Most i7's have a max Base Clock of 180-215 depending on the proc, motherboard, etc. Also I was messing up at first because I didnt know that the Ram is linked to the base clock. So having the ram at 2:8 ratio or 1/4 would mean the memory of a 180mhz base clock would render 180 x 4 = 720mhz double data rate or 1440mhz. I would like to have the memory running at 1600mhz but in order to do that I would need to have my base clock at 200 and its not quite stable without allot of voltage. Not really worth it IMO.

I took it back a little bit and my final settings are:

Cpu @ 3.6GHZ (Base 180mhz x 20 multi)
Memory 1440mhz 9-9-9-24 (might try cas 8 in the future since the memory is rated at those timings for 1600mhz)

Vcore is at 1.25v
Cpu VTT is between 120mv and 200mv cant remember
Dram is 1.60-1.65v
Qpi Pll 1.3v
IOH Vcore 1.275
Ich Vcore 1.200
IOH/ICH 1.60v
PWM Freq 800 Mhz

Cpu runs at 25-27 Celcius idle depending on room temp at the time. At 100% load for 30 mins using prime 95 I hit 55 Degrees Celcius.

Vreg still worries me a little and hits 72 during this test and 59-62 Idle.

Using the CNPS9900LED cooler. Little on the expensive side but well worth it. + Artic Silver 5

supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

i still haven't oc'd my processor yet. i should do that ... and my video card ... damn, my machine is still a f*****g beast, think what it'll be when i just push it a little more. :D
better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt.
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

Yeah yeah, overclock it! I think we would all like to see what it can do! :wink:

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”