playstation 3 launch date w/ other crap.

All your console gaming needs.
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

playstation 3 launch date w/ other crap.

Post by BugZz »

PS3: (Release Date: 11/2006, est. cost $499 [20 gb] - $599 [60 gb]) --
The PS3 is arguably the most powerful of the 3 next-gen consoles, from a brute force CPU power perspective. How much that will translate into gaming experience remains to be seen, but it has been a major selling point Sony has been pushing. Although it's reputedly currently beleaguered by overheating issues, these will all be solved before its official release.

In addition, the PS3 has the benefit of an established repetoire of incredible games. Overall, games for the PS2 are consistently ranked as more entertaining and better designed than those for the xBox. Frankly, when it comes down to it, it's the games that matter most and the PS2 has been the industry leader because of its massive game selection. With full backwards compatibility, that transfers over to the PS3.

The PS3 has a number of interesting, but possibly never-to-be-used, features. For example, dual HD ports allow you to have TWO HDTVs going side-by-side. You will also be able to access the PS3 from the internet as a hub for pictures/mp3s/etc.

The biggest selling point so far has been the inclusion of a next-generation DVD format in Sony's HD Blu-Ray format (which has purportedly been the cause of the delay in release date). While the hands-down standard for the next version of DVDs hasn't been decided (think Betamax vs VCR), this feature is still a plus in that with so many PS3s to be sold, Sony's Blu-Ray format will most likely prevail (Plus, it's better technology than HD-DVD), meaning you won't have to buy a new DVD player in the future as the PS3 can easily fill that role. Stand-alone Blu-Ray DVD Players are expected to cost nearly $1000 when they come to market in late 2006, which many point to as the reason for the higher price of the PS3 versus the xBox 360. The PS3, however, will sport a standard 19-pin HDMI connector, which will limit HD output to 1080i, a hinderance not likely to be built in to stand-alone blu-ray players. Unless you have a upper-level HDTV, however, this isn't a major concern.

The PS3 does have a slight possible shortcoming in online game play, as Sony does not have an established platform like xBox Live to build on. However in March, Sony announced that they will be offering some semblance of a free online service that will provide chat and e-mail capabilities, with a pay system for actual networked gameplay which is expected to be similar to the Live 360 system. This is a change from their earlier company line, which previously made no mention of a unified online system.

There are additional features that make the PS3 an attractive console, including support for up to 7 controllers (via Bluetooth), interconnectivity to the popular PSP handheld (via Wifi). The primary sell-point, however, remains the HD Blu-Ray DVD Drive.

The PS3 will be approximately 325mm (W) x 98mm (H) x 274mm (D) and weigh approximately 5 kg according to their latest press release
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

holy f**k free online play f**k YEAH BABY!! :twisted:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
ARC
Forum Regular

Post by ARC »

"with a pay system for actual networked gameplay which is expected to be similar to the Live 360 system"

You will have to pay for actually playing online I believe.
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

Yup, monthly or yearly fees most likely
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

It will most certainly be intersting to see how this plays out. From a financial stand point Sony is the underdog. With Microsoft's XBox 1 year leap and Nintendo Wii's attractive price point it will be intersting to see how the heat is recieved by Sony. And mind you this is my own opinion...

With that, I am quite pessemistic of Sony's chances to remain the next "gen" console leader. Their high price point, and lack of hardware at these latest conventions is not good news for their investors or fans who are to be putting down their hard earned cash NOW to get that revenue rolling in. Maybe it was the electronic giant's rootkit scandal but I can't help but Hope that maybe it's their lights turn to burn out. Call it the dog in me! :P

And lastly, we all know that BRUTE strength in numbers is meaningless if your players have already adopted brand loyalty to someone else. And it will be down to games deciding that. So with Ghz, $, and Time factored in I can't wait to see how this plays out.

(Sukki I must admit that they got something good on their hands...)
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

I agree with you bob 100 percent. Just think about what microsoft did with a "first generation" console they built. And not only that, but they came out with that after sony came out with the PS2. And even though they came out with the xbox after Sony came out with the PS2 Microsoft has put their console out first. Now, I'm thinking that sony is trying to also play another angle here as far as waiting on releasing their console. Wait, let microsoft bring out a console, wait a lil more, get some games built on the hardware, release it with "better specs" and more games at launch...... etc etc. Both playing a mean game out there but I have never been a Playstation fan, was a nintendo fan back in the day, and now as far as recent stuff I back up microsoft on the xbox. Let the duel begin :D

BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

yeah and plus u can use the ''internet'' surf the web and s**t...lol..well damn i hope u can use spy S&D ROFL :lol:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

Check this.. I just read that Sony is NOT going to allow it's consols to play USED, RENTED or BORROWED games. More rootkit type stuff coming from the big stinky cheese. Again this is all speculation but I read it in a SF newspaper... More to come! :!:
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

eXg.BobMarley! wrote:Check this.. I just read that Sony is NOT going to allow it's consols to play USED, RENTED or BORROWED games. More rootkit type stuff coming from the big stinky cheese. Again this is all speculation but I read it in a SF newspaper... More to come! :!:
wow thats a good thing then.. b/c alot people rip off the games and copy it (whistles man points at will <--- he does it too) its a good thing :wink:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Return to “Console Gaming”