Help Team EXG, Show off your Rig's 1337 Power !!!!!!

Become part of the 1337 team, as we combine our uber rigs, and put them to the task.
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Help Team EXG, Show off your Rig's 1337 Power !!!!!!

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

OK, so you think you got the 1337 rig and all that. Show us. For quite sometime Team EXG has been donating CPU cycles to the greater good. What's that you say, well all the time you leave your computer idle, it COULD be used to help solve mathmatical equations. Thanks to Big Daddy Crush, we've been doing quite a bit of Protein Folding. This is NOT an obtrusive program, and you can say when/where/how it runs, so no worries. Crush and I have done extensive testing on this, and we NEED your help. It's quite easy, and doesn't cost you a dime. All you do is download the small program, from Folding at Home. You can choose either a GUI based version, with the screen saver (Best for Single Core Machines), or the No-Nonsense console based version (Best for High Powered Rigs, and Dual Cores). Join the ranks of Team EXG, and other 1337 groups to fold it up. Teams we are coming after include:

MaxiumPC, [H]ardOCP, Overclockers.com, TeamRage3d, AandTech, FutureMark, and more. We're going after the BIG GUNZ on this one. Download it, install it, add our Team Number, done.

http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

Now, all you have to do when you install the program is to enter OUR TEAM NUMBER: 49197

Now as you can see, basically with Crush and me, smacking these numbers down, we have already moved up from 44,000 to 7,000. Once you get you rig up and running, we expect to see proof of your so called UBER RIGS, crunching numbers under Team EXG's command center:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... mnum=49197

Any problems installing, or if you think you GOT WHAT IT TAKES, to be a manly man, and run more than one at a time, hehe, you just hit me or Crush with a PM, and we'll get you setup. This is for clan members, and friends of the clan. Let's see what you got. It's GO TIME, and we're ready.

Team EXG Working The Solution, one rig at a time.

PuN
Last edited by eXg. Pun1sher on Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
XvileX
Forum Junkie

Post by XvileX »

So how does this help humanity? I'm confused.
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

OK, fair question, and it easily summarized. This is much like S.E.T.I. Project. If you have just one computer crunching numbers to solve a problem, or being used to scan Radio Telescope information, looking for patterns, ie. Intelligent Life, it would take forever to crunch the data, solve the problem, etc. Now if you devise a way to SHARE the workload between thousands, millions of computers, all doing a small part of the workload, accumulatively, you now have one HELL of a super computer doing the job, and hence, can then begin to anticipate SOLVING the problem.

PROTEINS, are directly related to amino acids, and in turn OUR antibodies, and in turn the immune system. When the immune system reacts to, or attempts to fight off diseases the proteins activate, and fold to do this. If they fold correctly, then they work towards fighting off the infection, disease, etc. When they fold incorrectly, it is believe that THAT, in turn creates diseases. Understanding how proteins FOLD, is critical in not only working to solve how they effect diseases, but also to creating our own, nanomachines, which are man made proteins, to do the same thing. Because the proteins FOLD so quickly, as fast as a nano second, massive amounts of time are needed to just compute 1 second worth of folding, the only way to solve this on a reasonable timeline is through SHARED COMPUTING. That's where WE come in. Again, costs you nothing, all you have to do is install it, put in your name, our team number, and let it rip.

The more rigs we get working on this, the higher our team score rises, and the more we help out. Donating your UNUSED CPU cycles, is the EASIEST thing you can do to help out.

Read more on the official FAQ on Protein Folding here:

http://folding.stanford.edu/science.html

PuN
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

:P
This is an awsome way to benifit society. seriously though you figure how many hours a day your computer just sits on. I turn mine on at around 6-8 and leave it on till maybe 1AM tahst like 18 hours! and maybe 8 of which im actuall on my computer. So i am donating 10hours a day to this cause. And Maybe oneday What I am doing here could help cure me of some disease or save my life
8)

o yes and I have created some basic sigs for anyone who joins up.
I made large and small take what you want, and if you would liek one PM me

eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Man Sab, thanks very much. You just wait till big Daddy C, see's your work. OMG money will be flowing outta him. :)

PuN
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Ohhh, hehe, if your parentals are giving you greif about the "Online" thing, hehe, tell them to see WHAT it is, that you ARE doing. :) eXg is all good.

PuN
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

eXg. Pun1sher wrote:Ohhh, hehe, if your parentals are giving you greif about the "Online" thing, hehe, tell them to see WHAT it is, that you ARE doing. :) eXg is all good.

PuN
I think it was more the fact that i was on vent, sending out my voice, and i was spending hours talking to shaggy, for really no point at all... and we were talking about our everyday lives. I understand how they feal, so i am trying to respect it. but I wish i could be on with you all more. hmmm...

but yah, this is a perty cool deal with the folding thing. Do you know if i have to have internet on for it to work, or can i just have it run with no internet, and then send info back later or w/e?
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Hmm, never tried that, may have to hit the FAQ on that. I'm guessing no, but I could be wrong. Once the work units are done, it does want to dump them, so you can get NEW work units.

I'll research

PuN
XvileX
Forum Junkie

Post by XvileX »

sabooya wrote:
eXg. Pun1sher wrote:Ohhh, hehe, if your parentals are giving you greif about the "Online" thing, hehe, tell them to see WHAT it is, that you ARE doing. :) eXg is all good.

PuN
I think it was more the fact that i was on vent, sending out my voice, and i was spending hours talking to shaggy, for really no point at all... and we were talking about our everyday lives. I understand how they feal, so i am trying to respect it. but I wish i could be on with you all more. hmmm...

but yah, this is a perty cool deal with the folding thing. Do you know if i have to have internet on for it to work, or can i just have it run with no internet, and then send info back later or w/e?
I was cruising the faq, and it says if you have a modem, you can configure it to connect automatically, or connect when you decide or connect to your isp.

However it doesnt' say anything about if you have highspeed and are always online.
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

XvileX wrote:
sabooya wrote:

PuN

I was cruising the faq, and it says if you have a modem, you can configure it to connect automatically, or connect when you decide or connect to your isp.

However it doesnt' say anything about if you have highspeed and are always online.
I have hispeed, but am not always online...
My parents shut off the modem, because they.. parents, lolz
XvileX
Forum Junkie

Post by XvileX »

I'm all signed up, dling first protein now.
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

XvileX wrote:I'm all signed up, dling first protein now.
for me its gonna take a day and 10 hours to do first one :(
deetew
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by deetew »

i started folding stuff. I don't know exactly what it's doing, but it's doing something. I see like molecules spinning on the screen etc with 0/500 frames completed.
deetew
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by deetew »

but then again i never bragged about how UBER my pc is. hahaha
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

No worries man, everyone who helps out, moves EXG forward. The work units start off very slow at first, then they speed up. :)

PuN

Return to “Team EXG Protein Folding”