Help

Become part of the 1337 team, as we combine our uber rigs, and put them to the task.
Contro
Forum Master

Help

Post by Contro »

Ok... I just started and I already have numerous questions.

1) How do I fold more than 1 protein? I have a dual-core processor, so I should be able to do that, right?

2) Is there a way to see a picture of the protein I'm folding? I've seen Sab post pictures but I don't know how he's getting them.

3) How long does this take? I got the stuff 20 minutes ago and it doesn't appear anything has happened yet.

4) Can I choose which protein to fold? Instead of going for two 600's, I want to grab the 1112-point one I saw on the list.

5) Does this run if my computer is sitting around in sleep mode?

6) Is it safe to have my processor running at 100% for so long? I've never tried to do anything like this before. I have a custom heatsink and 3 fans in a well-ventilated case, but I don't know if that would be enough to keep it from overheating.

Damn... I'm a protein noob.

:(
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

No worries at all, as this is easy to answer. First off, there are TWO versions of the FAH (Folding At Home) client. One is the graphical, (pretty pictures, and you can only run ONE instance with it) version, and then there's the badass (No Nonsense, text only version, no pictures, but you can run as many as you want at the SAME TIME).

OK, first things first, if you DO have the pretty picture one, delete it. Kill it, stop it, remove it. WOOT. Now, create TWO or more folders somewhere on your HD, where you want the TWO folding programs to reside. Make it easy, call the folders, FOLD 1, and FOLD 2. Now, download the text only version :

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... onsole.exe

Now, just copy that into BOTH folders. So you should have the two folders, with the SAME copy of the downloaded text version. Now when you first exec it, (you'll have to do it twice, once for each folder), you will have an option to set the "CPU number". Just choose 1, for the first one, then choose 2, for the second. That way it can keep them seperate. You can choose "Large Work Units", and even "Experimental", but not both together. You'll have two small text boxes, like a dedicated server looking thing just running. That's it.

You can't choose what you get, but if you select "larger than 5M", you'll get the better ones.

PuN

Return to “Team EXG Protein Folding”