Need help with buying a gaming laptop

Site, server, even PC probs. put them up.
Murda1
Forum Visitor

Need help with buying a gaming laptop

Post by Murda1 »

hey guys anyone know wher i can purchase a good gaming laptop? I am limited to a $1500 or less price range. I was looking at xoticpc's but i cant seem to find any extensive info about their site from outside sources so im not sure if i can trust them. Anyone know any background on these guys?

here is their website
http://www.xoticpc.com
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

I would reccomend making a SFF pc and putting that money to good use....

K1LLA:4:H1RE
Inactive

Post by K1LLA:4:H1RE »

nope sorry....

However, when buying a laptop seaching for the companyies background is very important.... Since laptops are not as easy to upgrade or repair yourself, consumers have to rely on warranty and customer service....

So make sure you buy a laptop from a company who has been around for awhile and have been reviewed by major retailers or websites.

Try these companies and brands:

HP Pavilion
Toshiba Qosmio
http://www.hypersonic-pc.com/2001/index.asp
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

Ja toshiba is teh hax!

But I would still reccomend a Small form factor pc.

Is this for lan party's etc?

Murda1
Forum Visitor

Post by Murda1 »

this is so i can play q4 while my engineering professors blab their f*****g mouths for 2 hours.
Murda1
Forum Visitor

Post by Murda1 »

alien ware seems to have whta im looking for....and they seem to have the cheapest proces so far.

Here is most likely what im gonna get.
http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_P ... KU-DEFAULT

with some upgrades it comes to like $1300 then ill get like 1 gig from newegg for 100 that should be good enough to get my quake on.
K1LLA:4:H1RE
Inactive

Post by K1LLA:4:H1RE »

eXg. CrUsH wrote:Ja toshiba is teh hax!

maybe.... but the hardware they offer and the price range Murda is looking for, toshiba is a good choice... Maybe not the best, but good enough for 1500.00..

Murda1 - make sure to do some research on the alienware laptop you are choosing. A lot of customers and reviews say some laptops over heat after a few months..... Google it man...
K3YC0D3
Forum Visitor

Post by K3YC0D3 »

better late them ever, laptops in general is a bad idea, umless you regularly sync it with a desktop pc, due to limited upgrades, basically its a disposable pc after a while. Hard to find parts IF you find them at all afterwards.
SunTzu

Post by SunTzu »

SunTzu

Post by SunTzu »

ill spare you the search this one looks good(for a laptop) :lol:

it sends ya to frontpage LOOOL

ehhhh take tab laptops :roll: and pick the razor :wink:

^
|| previous post
JUDGE
Forum Bot

Post by JUDGE »

Hopefully you haven't bought one yet. I had to get a pretty beefy laptop for college (high spec requirements because of my major), so I went with an Alienware 3.6ghz ,1gig ddr2, ati x800 256mb, 60gig drive, etcetc . Yeah sure I can play quake 4 or d3 on it, but the thing is a tank. Also not more than a month after I got it the fans started going bad, so now when the fans kick on it sounds like someone is screaming.

Point being. Don't get an alienware. They are NO WHERE worth the money. Sure I could have gotten mine fixed for free, but that would have required me to send it back, which would have taken like 4 weeks for me to get it back. Not worth it at all. Total waste of 3k in my opinion. I wouldn't recommend alienware to my worst enemy.
Detrimentalsysmd

Post by Detrimentalsysmd »

http://www.widowpc.com/

These guys gave me a laptop to use for a few days while i was @ PAX. Played like a f*****g dream. Check them out, great guys in a small CO with good prices and customer service. They can do awsome things with a laptop.
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

eXg. DarkStarGTX wrote:
eXg. CrUsH wrote:Ja toshiba is teh hax!

maybe.... but the hardware they offer and the price range Murda is looking for, toshiba is a good choice... Maybe not the best, but good enough for 1500.00..

Murda1 - make sure to do some research on the alienware laptop you are choosing. A lot of customers and reviews say some laptops over heat after a few months..... Google it man...
Yeah my boy bought one with a 6800GO and it was a hot system (HEAT) and used battery like a mofo.
And not to meddle in your affairs, but if you're paying for a class, why play games? Play some afterwords. College is pretty flexible...
SFF seems like a good deal, but then again you can buy a good/decent tower for $1500 Check out HARDOCP.COM's latest review.

PeeC!
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

eXg. Detrimentalsysmd wrote:http://www.widowpc.com/

These guys gave me a laptop to use for a few days while i was @ PAX. Played like a f*****g dream. Check them out, great guys in a small CO with good prices and customer service. They can do awsome things with a laptop.

Don't Do It!!!!!!!! :shock:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODY3LDk=
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

Ask your self if you really want that much mobility. If the toppy sits on a desk in your room all day, and is brought to a LAN party 2x a month, Might be better to buy a more compact rig, but with next gen stuff.(Crossfire 1900XTX :P )
A toppy for games a an insane waste of dough if your not going to be mobile! You get last gen parts for around 2.5k It makes more sense to get a ATX Mini case, a 15 inch lcd, and better parts!
But then what are you using this notebook for, that would be the deciding factor. If you are going to be traveling alot and what to have those midnight Pwn Fest, a laptop,(I reccomend Dell XPS) would be a good choice.

Now if your really into buying a laptop for gaming the Dell XPS may not be the cheapest, but it is the most powerfull! They also look SWEET! My main man has one, comes over and LANs with me and it RUNS BETTER THEN MY COMPUTER! Only downside is you might not get 1GB RAM, I believe you can only get 1GB! But the CPU and GPU make up for it. Running BF2 he beat my 6600GT and Athlon 3200+(not much of an acomplishment but it still beat my computer!)

PS Dont get that Alienware! BAD IDEA! Its NO WHERE NEAR WORTH IT! small Form factor pc would definitly be a better idea!

Return to “Need Help ??”