replacing some parts on my pc

Site, server, even PC probs. put them up.
mikE_
Forum Junkie

replacing some parts on my pc

Post by mikE_ »

thinking about getting back into gaming, however, my pc has been overheating for as long as i can remember. due to being too lazy to do anything about it, i feel a few things have been damaged beyond repair.

HOPEFULLY the only 2 things are my proc and vid card. i currently have a 3500+ (socket 939) and 6800ultra. i also might try to get a new tower, despite the one i have being $130, it didn't cool down anything for s**t.

any suggestions on what i should get? i found a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ on newegg for 169. however, i have no idea what vid card to get (havn't looked into pc parts for 3 years). any suggestions on the best bang for my buck, and something that will be able to run QW? also, any suggestions on a good tower?

one last thing, is there any way i can test what was damaged from the heat? or should i just replace one thing at a time? right now i idle at 75 degrees. thanks
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

That's a very high idle, and it's not gonna be good for the cpu at all.
But, one thing that's really gonna suck for you (as it did for me), is the lack of support for socket 939 motherboards.
I wound up getting a new mobo, cpu, and ram, very top notch, for about 550.
I don't know what you're looking to spend, and I too was trying to just upgrade the proc itself, but in the end it seemed worthwhile to go ahead and get a whole new mainboard.
Good luck with that socket 939 though. It should've been supported for much longer than it was, but that's technology for ya.
Also, if you're looking to go dx10 wait until the 8800 series drop in price. the other 8 series cards are good for aero on Vista, and technically have dx10 support, but are inferior for gaming compared to higher end 7 series cards.
If you find anything in particular and want some reviews on it, I'd check out tomshardware and compare what you find against neweggs prices.
Last edited by eXg. focus on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikE_
Forum Junkie

Post by mikE_ »

actually it's the gpu temp that idles at 71. i'm not sure what the proc's temp is. anyway i can check?
mikE_
Forum Junkie

Post by mikE_ »

also, i'm not looking to go crazy and buy a whole bunch of new s**t for my pc. i read the 4200+ was a fairly decent increase in speed so i'm not looking to get a new mb. i just want to be able to play qw and some new games
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

mikE_ wrote:actually it's the gpu temp that idles at 71. i'm not sure what the proc's temp is. anyway i can check?
depends on your mainboard. I had an asus a8n SLI Premium. It had a built in OC feature that included a temp reading.

My GPU temp is pretty high at times too, but if you're not getting artifacting or anything like that, and you just want the temp decreased, your best bet is to see if you can decrease the PCI e voltage. Lowering the speeds with something like Coolbits will help some, but not nearly to the degree that lowering the voltage would. You may need both though, if you have a speed too high for the lowered voltage.
eXg. Man0waR
Doom 3

Post by eXg. Man0waR »

Go out, buy an 8800gts 640mb, Overclock the sh*t out of your cpu and then u can run quakewars :P
ImageImageImageImage
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

If your gpu is running that hot, I would think about replacing the cooler. But if you plan on replacing it then I would do what focus said and wait on the 8800's. When the price drops with those it would be the best bang for your buck.

How much of a price diff is the 4400 compared to the 4200. Might be better to get the 4400 because that way you have 1mb of L2 cache on each core. Also make sure if you are going from a single core to a dual core that your motherboard supports it. And also, if you motherboard supports it, do you have to have a certain newer bios?

Good luck!

eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore

Re: replacing some parts on my pc

Post by eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore »

Big mike! what up boi!

check this out ... i got thee answers for ya.. i just build a Second Pc for the Den in my backyard.. & i told my self one thing.. that i'd build this one & sure enough i was gonna make sure there was no way it'd OVERHEAT like my living room Pc.. its a over heating b***h!..

CHECK OUT WHAT I DID HERE FOR MY 2nd never to over heat pc project:

:idea: :idea:

First: if your not considering water coolant then your 100% gonna need a kick ass case thats gonna kick that air out of it.. I didnt go Water Coolant couldnt afford it, considering i was building a 2nd PC:

heres are a couple cases you could go with:

8) Antec nine Hundred PWN! coolant!
ImageImage

Or
CoolMaster Cm ... Pwn! thing has like 12 fans in it!
ImageImage

for more information MIKE check oout my New thread on my new system:

http://www.exg-clan.com/newforum/viewtopic.php?t=4784
YA boi 8)
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

dude intel all the way mike. wait until the middle of this month or then end and intel cpu's will drop more less then amd core 2 duo e6600 should be 90 bucks by then. just hold off :)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
mikE_
Forum Junkie

Post by mikE_ »

eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

Are those front fans gonna hit any of your components? or just the hdd and optical drives?
eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore

Post by eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore »

mikE_ wrote:this is what i'm ordering..
Mike its looking good buddy... & its not that costly.. make sure you pick up 2 extra 120mm fans because your gonna need it for the center of the computer and one other one for the side panel by the Plex glass,, good luck on everything..

ya boi 8)
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Agreed Jaggo. mikE_, with fans soo cheap, unless you get the tiny ones (which suck and are very loud), having more is great. Vid cards are indeed getting hotter, even when at stock speeds. OC'ing just makes it crazier. Also, remember the stupid stuff, folding cables out of the way, allowing totally open airflow, no obstructions. Also, if you can (sometimes you can't), ballancing the IN's with the OUT's is very good. Having 3 in and 1 out = :O. Having 2 or 3 in, and 2 or 3 out = :)

Push + Pull = chilly.

PuN

Return to “Need Help ??”