HD issues (Yes pun I know its a time bomb) xD

Site, server, even PC probs. put them up.
eXg.Ground Zero
Forum Master

HD issues (Yes pun I know its a time bomb) xD

Post by eXg.Ground Zero »

What up eXg?????? As you all know iv got a really f'ed hard drive thats makin some crazy sounds xD. Yes pun we know that thing is a ticking time bomb :lol:

ATM I have a Western Digital Caviar SE hard

Tech Specs:

Model/No. WD4000AAJS-22YFAO

RPM - 7200

Cache - 16 MB

Size - 400 GIG

Suspected Problem: Bad media headers????

OK so heres whats going on. When I boot up my computer the hard drive makes a single louds beep. Once turned on it makes a groaning sounds like an older hard drive would I monitor the HD activity light and it is constantly solid red even on Idle. The biggest problem I have been having with it recently is the hard drive would lock up and my OS would basically stop working/responding no blue screen or anything it just stooped. So whatever I was working on at the time basically got erased because this hard drive is being idiotic. So my question to you guys is :

What do you think the problem is and how can I fix or temporally fix it?

Here are some solutions that I have tried.

- Static Purge.

- Western Digital Lifeguard™

- De fragmentation (In progress)

any help you could provide would be awesome!

Note: I will see if I can upload some audio files so you can hear the sounds for your self.
eXg.Ground Zero
Forum Master

audio file http://download939.mediafire.com/g4vldc ... ounds+.wma

you will hear some click its me opening programs with my mouse
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

run some warm water over it, that'll fix it :D
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

try disconnecting it and reconnecting every cable. otherwise, i have a feeling your in need of a new hd :(
eXg.Ground Zero
Forum Master

eXg. sabooya wrote:try disconnecting it and reconnecting every cable. otherwise, i have a feeling your in need of a new hd :(
Man, I'd love to but my case is like wire city. I have the cooler master 922 and its a pain in the ass to hock up lol. I pretty much fixed the slow drive isssues donno about the noise. I'll have to run her to the ground.

the wd lifeguard said there was no internal damage so I think im good.
eXg. Pheon1x
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. Pheon1x »

Ground Zero wrote:
eXg. sabooya wrote:try disconnecting it and reconnecting every cable. otherwise, i have a feeling your in need of a new hd :(
Man, I'd love to but my case is like wire city. I have the cooler master 922 and its a pain in the ass to hock up lol. I pretty much fixed the slow drive isssues donno about the noise. I'll have to run her to the ground.

the wd lifeguard said there was no internal damage so I think im good.

Lol details Do it anyway.. make sure that the hookups are connected correctly.. and make sure that all the other cords are set up correctly as well.. =D just reseat all the connections
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

You know the deal here man, so start looking at the SOLUTION, not a desperate patch job (at best).

No amount of software is going to patch or fix a hardware problem. You are actually one of the LUCKY ONES, because you ARE being given WARNING SIGNS. Whenever you are talking about a HD, and the symptoms include noises, that ain't good. As the bearings/spindle wear out, the drive will start to spin out of round, you can contact (physical contact) between your read/write heads and the platters, cause surface defects, and WORSE, increased heat, as the bearings fail, causing the motor to work harder and harder to spin it up.

I appreciate the suggestions mentioned above, but GZ, you're solution is a new drive bro, only way to do it. Every day you continue with your current one, means you are testing fate.

I would STRONGLY suggest not wasting time degraging, cabling, or any other software fixes, and IMMEDIATELY back up everything you can't afford to loose.

When I heard the noise it was making (a while ago), I almost fell out of my chair. I'm surprised it's still spinning.

Return to “Need Help ??”