VISTA? RAM? GRAPHICS MEMORY?

Site, server, even PC probs. put them up.
CaMeL
Doom 3

VISTA? RAM? GRAPHICS MEMORY?

Post by CaMeL »

OK heres the dell:

Dell XPS 710
Microsoft Vista Ultimate
Intel Core 2 DUO 6700 @ 2.66
4GB of RAM
DUAL ATI 1950 Crossfire Edition 512 MB(X2)
700 Watt PS

The Primary Hard Drive crashed last week. After receiving a new one. We install Vista Ultimate. I have downloaded all ATI drivers since the first compatible one for vista (there have been seven released). When I boot with all four gigs of RAM in and both cards in. I get the windows splash screen with the progress bar stuck. EVERYTIME! Next I take out two sticks of RAM (they are pairs) and it boots everytime. Now this system had Vista Ultimate installed on it before. I never had this problem. I have two more systems with the same exact hardware with no problems. Running crossfire and everything.

I have two new graphics cards and crossfire cable coming tomorrow. But i seem to think that it is a problem with vista reading 4gb of RAM and 1gb of Video Memory.

BTW, most know that vista does not recognize 4gb on 32bit. I have enabled PAE (which since Windows 2k it is by default). But i disabled and reenabled. Still will not recognize. I am assuming that maybe part of my problem is i have 4gb of ram and 1gb of video and Vista is crashing due to this memory configuration.

also, i can boot up everytime in safe mode so it is the ati drivers.

has anyone else heard or experienced this problem?
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

At first glance it seems to point to the memory. Either the sticks or slots, but I"m sure you've ruled that/those out ?? Haven't heard of a OVER memory issue, or at leats not causing that to happen. Have had people talk of a random amount of memory showing up in Vista. Did you have the same cards in the maching prior, or have you upgraded RAM, and added cards at same time ?

PuN
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

you try just putting one of the ram sticks in and booting?
CaMeL
Doom 3

Post by CaMeL »

Well it is definitly not a memory problem. I can swap them out in any order I want with different sticks. I did have the same cards before. This has happened before, lol, I just cant remember how I fixed it. Well i will keep you posted. New cards and crossfire cable should be in today.

The down side to this is I cant get OS support from Dell because we put Vista on, the system came with XP Pro.

Oh well....
CaMeL
Doom 3

Post by CaMeL »

IT WAS HARD DRIVE AND ATI DRIVERS!
eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore

Post by eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore »

eXg. CaMeL wrote:IT WAS HARD DRIVE AND ATI DRIVERS!
yep.. those freaking video card drviers can be the cause & i bunch of issues.. glad u figured it out..

Return to “Need Help ??”