Laptop Wireless problem

Site, server, even PC probs. put them up.
eXg. Storr
Forum Visitor

Laptop Wireless problem

Post by eXg. Storr »

Some info on the problem
Im running vista atm

So my laptop thinks its its preferred ip is 169.254.151.206 when its set to automatically get an ip. I go into my network settings and manually give it an ip address. I can connect now no problems. (setting it to 192.168.2.109)

I have no idea why my computer is trying to use 169.254.151.206 ip address. When i go back and change settings to automatically get an ip address, it reverts back to trying to connect to "169.254.151.206"

This wouldn't be that big of a deal if i only used my laptop at home. But if i connect to another wireless network it still trying to connect to 169.254.151.206.

also
hard wired no problem. Wireless its a problem. If i manually tell it what ip to connect to seems to work. problem is that ip is not available on all wireless routers (ie school) i fear when im at school i won't be able to connect because when its set to automatically get an ip from the router, it will tell the router to give it that dumb ip and it will then fail to connect. So im thinking there is a hidden setting for preferred ip?

Thanks for any help
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

IP addresses in the range 169.254.?.? are assigned by the operating system when it fails to get an IP address from an external source.

When you shut down the laptop do you put it in "sleep" mode or do you actually power it right off? Try that (full power off) if you don't already.

You could try an uninstall of the wireless adapter and let Vista detect it again after a reboot.

And make sure you have SP2 installed on Vista, plus the latest Windows Update patches.
Last edited by simulation on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.the-emz.com/ - A Multiplayer Mod for Doom 3
CaMeL
Doom 3

Post by CaMeL »

SIM is right. That ip is the ip address that it assigns if one is not found. If you are trying to apply a static IP address it needs to be in the same ip structure as is setup in your router. for example: to get to your router is 192.168.1.1 then you could assign the ip address 192.168.1.100 to your laptop. But the real question is why is your laptop assigning that particular ip address. If it cannot successfully connect to the network then it will assign this ip address. The wireless router has a DHCP service on it that basically assigns ip address to new computers that register.

So first you should go to your command prompt. just click the start orb and type cmd and press enter:

then type: ipconfig /flushdns

press enter

then close the window

then you need to try to connect to your wireless. It should pick up the authentication type automatically but if not, then you will need to set it. It could be WPA/WPA2. Usually WPA/WPA2 are selected as auto in your router and the cipher type is usally TKIP & AES by default. So if all your settings are default then you should be able to register no problem as long as you know your network key. If you type your network key for your wireless connection wrong then it will not get an ip address and assign the one that you are receiving. Hope it helps.
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

GJ Sim, and Camel. He had asked me via circular, and I wasn't sure. Seems as if at home, automatically connect is good, but when at school the problem stated up ? Not sure, and very GJ (Camel gotta better memory than I do) about the DNSflush.

Return to “Need Help ??”