eXg. supercat1 Bio

BIOS, Give us the 411. Pics, (1024X768) are encouraged.
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

eXg. Contro wrote:ol, sounds like you play to win. I play more for the fun of it. In marching band, I march a Yamaha. We have a King that nobody uses; I've never tried to play it though. I don't actually march with a mellophone mouthpiece; our director seems to want the "french horn" tone, so we march with horn mouthpieces + adapters. I still use a Holton MC for almost everything; I was using a VDC at one point, but then I kinda... misplaced it. >_> I want to switch because I shouldn't be playing on that thing anymore, but I really don't know what to try. There are no good places for trying out mouthpieces around here.

I'm a horn player; last year I picked up a Holton Soloist model (sorry, don't know the model number). I play a bit of trumpet on the side, picking up some sax as well. And Phenom, I have played the bassoon. Briefly. *shudders*
well no doubt there was an element of competitiveness that got me into drum corps. of course that isn't the only driving factor when you do an activity like that, but it is one. and yeah, i like competition, makes you better.

does your director really feel that the sound produced by the horn mouthpieces really is that great? i've done the mello w/ a horn mouthpiece thing and really ... i didn't like the sound. on top of that i felt like my lips were getting cut into all the time because of how narrow the rim is. of course, if you have played on a trumpet, then you have essentially used a mello mouthpiece. the difference, if i remember correctly, is that the mello mouthpiece has a deeper cup. but i could be wrong.

i love holton horns. all my teachers have professed eternal love to con-selmer horns but i don't understand why. i don't really like their sound and i definitely don't like their aesthetic.

if you switch mouthpieces, do not go to an sc. those are just painful. i tried it, big mistake. the quality of my playing went down dramatically. if you get your own mouthpiece, get a gold one. not because of looks (though they do look sharp) but because it really will be softer on your lips.

cavies march yamaha, so i mean ... obviously something is going right with that brand. i like dy-nasty better just because i can produce a wider dynamic range with a darker sound on them. kings give me trouble with controlled forte and up and yamahas start to "rip" way too easily for me. now, i can do my fair share of splattering/"ripping" of notes on a dynasty but i actually have to try. also, the physical layout was much better for the way the corps i marched held our horns.

what is your favorite horn concerto/solo that you have played?
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

double post ftw!

as requested, some pics:

me

serena

athena

my pc setup
Last edited by supercat1 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt.
Contro
Forum Master

Post by Contro »

Yeah, my director seems to like the sound. It's just really annoying to play anything high, because yeah, the rim cuts into your face after a while. We don't really have that problem though, because most of the stuff we play is below like... G on top of the staff.

The mouthpiece I use is a gold one. Are there any brands I should really look into? I'm not even sure where to look, and my director isn't much help, being a drummer.

My favorite piece to play and listen to is the first Strauss horn concerto. =)
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

i like holton mouthpieces, but cons are nice too. depending on where you live, there may be an instrument shop that has or can get some mouthpieces in for you to try.

i personally like the holton mdc that comes with most of their horns. woodwind & brasswind is where i usually go for all my instrument parts/needs. heck, even ebay has some good stuff every now and then. sucks that your instructor is a percussionist because that really hurts the wind sections in the long run. ideally each school would have a head band director and an assistant band director where one was wind focused and the other was percussion focused. my high school did and it really helped.

my horn
Contro
Forum Master

Post by Contro »

=O

I wish I had a detachable bell. ='(

I'll have to take a picture of mine and get it up, if I can remember. Not sure where my camera is at the moment.

Our marching band is run the way your school was. Well, sort of. When I was a rookie/sophomore, our BD was a percussionist and out ABD was a brass player. He retired after my sophomore year, and since then, our ABD has also been a percussionist. To provide instruction for the other sections, we've also hired a few other people. We have a brass instructor, and 2 woodwind instructors (1 is hired, the other is my BD's wife). It's help the band greatly, because we have more teachers to go around and help with playing issues.

As for the mouthpieces, I absolutely love Holton. It's all I've ever used. I will look into Conn as well, because you never know... though I find Holton to be a pretty good fit, there might be something out there that's better.
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

i love holton horns and have yet to find one that will change my mind. but mouthpiece wise, there are just so many different things that can make one mouthpiece great that sticking to one brand is not a great idea. i mean, the rim size and the cup size will vary from on manufacturer to another. i personally like thinner rims but deeper cups and as such the holton series is ideal. but, if i remember correctly, the conns tend to have wider rims. but yeah, clearly the mouthpiece is the single most important part of the horn and finding the right one for you can drastically improve your performance over night (kinda like using a geforce 4 mx440 agp and then going to an 8800gtx, the part itself isn't making you better but it does make it easier to be better). course, i'm sure you knew that.

and yes, the detachable bell is awesomeness incarnate. not to brag, but i really do think my horn is quite beautiful. but really, silver horns are quite nice also, i especially like them with the lacquer stripped off. :D
Contro
Forum Master

Post by Contro »

I like a deep cup, but I wish my Holton had a wider rim. If Conn has something similar to the Holton I use, only with a wider rim, I'm definitely going to look into it. That would make playing for extended periods much more enjoyable, I'm sure.

I found out that my sister has my camera for the night, so I should have it back tomorrow morning to put a picture up. =)
eXg. Ersatz
MW2

Post by eXg. Ersatz »

Our cats look alike

eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Nicely done BIO. If you are into drumming, then you can't be all bad. :)

Good luck, and hope to play you in some matches in our server.

PuN
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

eXg. Ersatz wrote:Our cats look alike

*snip*
how old is your cat? and seriously, i envy that yours has a bushy tail.
eXg. Ersatz
MW2

Post by eXg. Ersatz »

she is 2 years old.
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

she looks much younger. i honestly thought she was a kitten in that pic.

Return to “BIOS”