eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

I love the vehicle CTF.
I hate the movement.

That's all i got so far. =\
SunTzu

Post by SunTzu »

I like UT3's Graphics and Atmosphere. Sound and Visual effects are almost perfect, but can't really enjoy UT3's movement... no drive, no speed and you can't do any impressive frags the way the weapons are. Also, maps are too big for duel games.
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

/agree with icelore

I personally will not start playing it unless a mod is released with seriously dramatic gameplay changes... i.e. the entire movement. I agree with chance's take on the dodge-jumping as well.

Even with competition mods it won't come near the enjoyment I get from playing q4.

DM is dying like icelore said, and as unfortunate as it may be, unless something is released soon to revive it, dueling will just continue to disappear.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

yeah, you should see the discussion thread over at esreality. i'm flaming the hell outta that thread. I'm outright trolling this one guy.
It's great.

What it boils down to is, it's a fun, pretty game. Granted.

But there's no way I can take it seriously as a competitive duel game. Just no fkn' way.

Oh J.C. Please send us Quake zero, before all our heads asplode.
SunTzu

Post by SunTzu »

eXg. f0cus wrote:quoting Jibo?
oops yes
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

eXg. f0cus wrote:yeah, you should see the discussion thread over at esreality. i'm flaming the hell outta that thread. I'm outright trolling this one guy.
It's great.

What it boils down to is, it's a fun, pretty game. Granted.

But there's no way I can take it seriously as a competitive duel game. Just no fkn' way.

Oh J.C. Please send us Quake zero, before all our heads asplode.
lol, I just read over a bit of it. haha

Agreed though, it's another good pubby game for kicks.
Queer Eye 4 The Dung Guy

Post by Queer Eye 4 The Dung Guy »

threads a bit old, but anyhoo. UT3, quake 4 3 2 1 zero, doom3

all those style of games are just going the way of the dinosaur unfortunately (or maybe the asteroid already hit in 2004? with halo2 and css?). I wish this wasn't the case.

COD4, bf2, css squad style games seem to me to be the future.
actually cod4 seems to be the future, I see more people on that game then many many games combined. It's too bad that games like q4 are so hard to get into, but a large community is just not there to support a wide variety of skills and encourage noobs to keep playing. I would love to keep playing q4 and ut3, which i will buy eventually, but I think I'm going to make the transition over to squad team based games.
It sucks that I picked the wrong specific genre of a genre lol (d3) to start online gaming, but oh well. I try playing css and I keep looking for the gold armor and health LMAO oh and the chain gun. It's like trying to get off heroin, totally sucks.

I'm sure these style of games (q3, 4, unreal) will continue with competitions and have a following but they just pale in comparison to css, cod 2, cod4, bf2, halos...
I have a friend who's into cod4 and when I put q4 and ut3 in his machine he totally wasn't digging it. It was obvious what was up, sorta like the transition from glam metal in the 80's to alternative rock in the 90's lol.

Of course I could be totally off and people may actually secretly be getting into online hardcore Chess.

I love in that article how chance says "constantly be tapping their keys in a discordant and uncomfortable manner. It actually hurts my fingers and its just annoying altogether."

aww it hurts his fingers lmao
Somebody call a doctor!!!

PS: I thought the ut3 demo was good. These guys are so difficult to keep happy. I think that they will eventually just keep playing quake 3 until 2050 because they are too anal to embrace something new. If they remain so picky the industry will forget about them.
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

=P|LE= wrote:I think that they will eventually just keep playing quake 3 until 2050 because they are too anal to embrace something new. If they remain so picky the industry will forget about them.
Why play something that's not as good?

Or maybe the even better question is... why are games becoming worse in the first place?
Queer Eye 4 The Dung Guy

Post by Queer Eye 4 The Dung Guy »

feint^Annihilus wrote:why are games becoming worse in the first place?
Which games? And where are they worse, in what aspect?

I think a lot of time was invested in games like unreal, q3, far cry...the graduating class of 2004ish, by gamers and the nostalgia for the exact same thing is burning in their minds.

evolution:
ut2004 > ut3
q3>q4
enemy territory> quake wars
far cry> crysis
etc. etc.

imho the new games in all those series are just better. The only new game that came out recently that I thought wasn't a step up was painkiller overdose. AND WHY?? Because it stuck with similar graphics and overall setup. But maybe I just embrace new games too quickly and enjoy dumping ex-games. Also, note that many games are in the franchise hollywood style production. Perhaps people want innovation something new. Not rehashes of q3 with 2008 graphics.

but that's just one white man's opinion lols, ronnie coleman pun.
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

They just don't play as well as their predecessors. I played a crap-ton of Quake 4, and it was still fun and really similar to Doom 3 which I played for the longest time... but Quake 3 is still a better game imo. Mods help it out a lot, but at release (and I'm sure plenty will vouch with me here), Quake 4 was utter crap. Patches were slow and didn't change enough, and in the end it just ends up being a prettier Quake 3 with a smaller community, and several slight gameplay tweaks that are arguable as to whether or not they are improvements from q3 (crouchsliding).

The same can be said with most of the other games there. They look a bit prettier, may have some nice interface features (which have probably been modded into the previous versions anyway), and it just feels like there's nothing new.

I'm not saying they're bad, I just think that most of the original games in those series' are a lot more playable than the glitchy new games that come out.

The best comparison I can make is the fact that it's almost becoming like sports games.... devs are just pumping games out with very minor changes, improved graphics, and lots of bugs? I don't really see why it's worth putting out the money for most of these games anymore... and honestly the only reason why I would is because most of the community will just go out and get these new games anyway.

It's probably just me though. I know most other people care about their graphics and sound. I don't any games for their prettiness, I usually turn all of my settings down to make sure I can get the best performance possible. I just want something that plays well, where I can have fun doing so, and I can honestly say I don't have anymore fun playing these games that have come out than the previous games in their series.

The only two fps games which have actually impressed me this year are Team Fortress 2 and Call of Duty 4. The rest are just meh, and I don't see any real reasons to spend my money on them.

I'm probably just the odd person out on this though, so just ignore me. :P

Return to “Unreal Tournament”