Computer Building Steps (Beginner)

Showoff your 1337 skills
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Computer Building Steps (Beginner)

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

Welcome to the "Computer Building Steps (Beginner)" Tutorial. I will be explaining how to build a computer and explaining many pointers that will save you allot of grief during the process.
The pictures that I have took were from my camera, not really good pictures I know but if you read and follow what im saying, along with good ol common sense, youll be in great shape.

Ok, that computer that we will be building today is very basic. Nothing more than this:

1. Standard atx mid tower case W/built in 300 Watt Atx POwer supply.
2. Mini atx Motherboard with onboard Lan, Sound, and video.
3. One stick of 256mb DDR 2700 Ram (184pin)
4. Retail AMD Socket 754 Semperon Processor. (Heatsink and fan Included)
5. Standard CD-Rom drive. (52X I think.....Yeah 1337!)
6. Generic Black 1.44mb Floppy Drive.
7. Samsung 40GB IDE Hard Drive 7200 RPM 8MB Cache.
8. CrUsH's Monster computer building hands...

This is basically all a noob would need to do basic things. Some of you will not read beyond this point. Again, this is the beginners tutorial. Some of you that have already built a computer but want more advanced techniques you will really have to check out my "Advanced" tutorial when I build my own Rig.

First things first, before you ever, ever start a computer build you make sure you have all the right components. At this time I usually lay everything out on the counter and make sure everything I am going to need for this build is on the bench.

Ok, now that we have everything on the bench ready to go lets put everything off to the side except for a couple things. Lets focus on the Motherboard, Processor, and ram right now. Open each of these things from the packaging and lay them out on the counter. All motherboards are diff and this tutorial will differ if you are not installing a 478pin P4. Keep that in mind. However there are a couple basics that will apply in every situation and that is what im going to mainly cover.

If you look at the picture you will see the "key" in where the pins dont go all the way to the corner like the other corners have. And if you look on the motherboard where the cpu goes you will see the simular layout. Remember when you were little and you put the cylinder in the hole and the star shape with the same cutout? This is basically the same but with 478 pins.... Lift up the lever on the side of the socket in the "up" possition. and then insert the cpu in the socket.

Note: You should never have to force the cpu in the socket, it would be very easy to bend some pins and make your job allot harder. If it doesnt go in easy, then you most likely not putting it in correctly.

After that install the Heatsink for the cpu. If you buy a retail cpu in box it should come with a heatsink and fan. Read the directions for installation as some might be diff. One quick pointer though: When securing the heatsink and fan if it isnt securing properly then check to see if the fins of the heatsink are hitting the plastic on the bottom sides.

Next, install the ram. In this project we are installing 184pin DIMMs (Drop In Memory Modules) They have a "notch" where one side of the stick has more pins then the other. You will see the same kind of notch on the slot which makes for a easy install. DIMM slot 0 or DIMM slot 1 will be closer to the cpu. If you are installing one stick of ram put it in slot 0 or 1 whichever is the first one. If you have a duel channel motherboard refer to your motherboard manual as some duel channel setups are diff.

When installing ram you must open the Levers. Line up the stick of ram and put into the slot. You are going to actually have to put some presure on this to get it in. But you will know when it is installed because the "levers" will snap into place to hold the stick in place.

Ok, at this point we have everything we need to get this party started. If you do not have onboard video then you should install the card now. This board has onboard video so I dont even have to worry about it. I will hook this board up to a power supply, hooking up the two power connectors on the motherboard the 20 and 4 pin connector. Newer motherboards use 24 pin main connectors. Then im going to hook up my video output, keyboard, and mouse. Then connect the power to the PSU and im going to manually start the computer by shorting the Power Switch pins on the motherboard. If you dont know where these are then check your motherboard manual.

The reason I do this is for two very important reasons.

1. To make sure teh leet hardware is working. If you have a bad cpu, or ram you will know. And most of the time the motherboard. This saves you from headaches later I promise.

2. To tweak your bios ( setting the time and date, changing boot order, checking health status)

Ok, now that we have a working mainboard, cpu, and ram, we need to put it in its rightfull place. At this point we will prep the case. We are going to be doing two very simple things to prep our case.

1. Inserting the I/0 Plate.
2. Installing motherboard posts.

I install the I/0 plate first, you will find that in the motherboards box. Cases usually have a temp one already in. If thats the case take it out and then install the new one. Usually just snaps into place. Your keyboard and mouse will be the two conponents on the top or furthest from you when you install it.

After installing that you will need to put the posts in. If im working on a motherboard in not fimiliar with I will quickly lay it down inside the case putting it up with the I/0 Plate to check where the motherboard posts need to go. After that I just twist them in with my fingers.

Ok after we have those installed we can gently put teh motherboard in its case. Double check to make sure all the holes line up with posts and then start screwing them in. I usally get all the screws started before actually tighting any of them all the way down. You DONT want to overtighen them like a tiger........

Next I hook up case wires. These wires connect your case with your motherboard and tell it to do things like Restarting, Power Switch, Hard drive activity light, etc....

Cant exactly go too far into detail on this because every motherboard is different. The mainthing is being able to follow instructions in the manual. Most pins are only two wires, one positive and one negitive. If you have them backwards they will not work.

USB headers come in a four pin flavor. And are usually colored in order "Red, White, Green, Black" Which is the positive, two data channels, and a negitive. The motherboard manual will tell you to put what where and the wires will be marked.

Wire managment as we go also.......

Ok, at this time we are going to put the Optical drive, the floppy drive, and the hard drive in the system. But in order to put them in first we will need to pop out a couple "face plates" which just pop out really easy. as you can see in the pic. Some cases might be diff.

After we do that we will slide each device in their respective hole in the case and secure them with screws, dont forget to screw them in on the other side of the case too! We are nearly done!

Ok, now that we have all our devices in the case we only have two more things to do, yay! When connecting the IDE devices make sure you are thinking about where youare going to "hide" the excess cable. Nobody likes to see anything sloppy. I take pride in every case I build, even the nooobish ones.

Make sure you are connecting your hard drive on the "Primary" channel on your motherboard and the optical drive on the "Secondary" channel. The floppy is special and gets its own channel haha.

Once you have hooked up the cables and you are confident in your hiding capibilities, then its time to wrap this joint up. Lets connect the power connectors. The main power connector in the computer build has been the Standard 4 pin molex connector. This will connect to your Optical Drive and Hard drive. Your floppy will get a small 4 pin connector, and your motherboard will (if its newer) either use 20 and a 4 pin or a 24 and 4 pin. Make sure you have the right power suppply for the job.

If you have the wrong connectors its not a problem, they have 20 to 24 pin adapters and if you have a power supply with a 24 pin connector usually the last 4 pins will slide off if you need a 20.

After you have all that completed and you are happy with your zip tie job then you are ready to put the side back on the case and install your Operating System! Congrats!

Darkstar, pun, and anybody else, any tips you can add put them up. Any questions can get put up here and will be addressed Thanks for reading!
Last edited by eXg. CrUsH on Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

:D

BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

Dude. that was f*****g rocking. That was 10 times better than the article I read in MaxPc. No doubt!
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

eXg.newstatic! wrote:Dude. that was f*****g rocking. That was 10 times better than the article I read in MaxPc. No doubt!
Wow! Thanks dood.

BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

Dude no problem. eXg has some really talented people who not only are great gamers but techs, mechanics, djs', you know, people from all walks of life. Maybe we should send out some bi-monthly newsletters to our members and those who subscribe. It would have game tips, config tips, PC building walkthroughs and tweaks :wink: , and generally cool s**t like pre release hype and info for EMZ type stuff and maybe even some shout outs! I would love to write it for the clan if need be. I would just need to compile some articles together and get a distribution list to make it happen.

Other than that, great write up bro. Always great to learn something new.

eXg.news!
K1LLA:4:H1RE
Inactive

Post by K1LLA:4:H1RE »

1 important feature that gets noobs confused is choosing motherboards and processors....

Remember that Intel and AMD are 2 different processors and both have there own parts.... Think of it like this: AMD = Mercedes and Intel = BMW

You cant place a mercedes engine into a bmw car.... Well you can but it takes reconfiguring, cutting and other s**t.... but you get the point....

So when you buy an AMD processor, you have to buy an AMD motherboard.

same goes for Intel....
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now choosing a processor can get a little complicated. Especially if you dont know what your buying....

The most important thing to know is the SOCKET TYPE...

Intel and AMD have socket types...

Think of this as an example:

Mercedes makes more than 1 car... The E class, C class, D class and so on....

Same thing with AMD. Socket 939, 940, 754 and A

Well, each socket has a compatable motherboard... If you buy a socket 939 processor, you need a socket 939 motherboard...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now with the motherboard and processor choosen, you need to think about MEMORY AND A POWER SUPPLY....

those are the last 2 major things that need to be compatible with the motherboard...

There are so many types of memory modules and power supplies.

The best way to find out what your motherboard is compatible with, read the info on the motherboard box....

here is an example:

Notice it mentions the socket type, memory type and other important features.... However the power supply is not mentioned... So in this case, ask someone who knows...

Remember, if going SLI, buy an SLI approved power supply and the more Wattage you have, better performace and stability you will have...

Never buy a off market brand power supply...

I recommend Antec, Silverstone, Ultra, PC Power & Cooling and Enermax power supplies....
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

True that man. I had an aftermarket Power Supply and it was terrible. Made my rig unstable and crashed often. Antec makes er nice and happy now. 8)
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

Thanks Newstatic, that would be a pretty interesting thing to do yes. So much general talent in the clan not only with gaming but on a wide variety of things. I think gaming is just somthing that competitive successfull people do as a hobby, and it shows with our many other talents.

Very good points Dark, I made sure to warn the people in the tutorial of "Cable management" just for you buddy.

K1LLA:4:H1RE
Inactive

Post by K1LLA:4:H1RE »

eXg. CrUsH wrote:Very good points Dark, I made sure to warn the people in the tutorial of "Cable management" just for you buddy.

LOL.... i saw that s**t.... thanks man.... and its true.... i will pwn you noobs who cant manage your cables... (remember that Buggz)
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

Hey first of all my name is BugZz i bring the golden pimp juice and cookies to the table...what u bring again...? btw should this be in the ''need help'' section oh my god noob post in teh wrong section :lol: :P
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

eXg.sukki wrote:Hey first of all my name is BugZz i bring the golden pimp juice and cookies to the table...what u bring again...? btw should this be in the ''need help'' section oh my god noob post in teh wrong section :lol: :P

Its you that needs help buddy! :lol:

BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

eXg. CrUsH wrote:
eXg.sukki wrote:Hey first of all my name is BugZz i bring the golden pimp juice and cookies to the table...what u bring again...? btw should this be in the ''need help'' section oh my god noob post in teh wrong section :lol: :P

Its you that needs help buddy! :lol:
damn right a i do i smash your mailbox and bring the golden pimp juice alone with teh cookies WHAT NOW HUH?!? WHAT NOW?! :lol: :P
eXg. Mr. Pistol
OGame Alliance

Post by eXg. Mr. Pistol »

nice job Crush.....i just saved this whole thread...very usefull for someone like me :wink:
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Very nicely done man, appreciate the time, pics, and assembly of the tutorial. Be assured, that when I get the NEW site up, this will be the FIRST ARTICLE in the line. I'll just copy / paste the pics, text, into the DHTML layout grid.

Again, very nice.

PuN
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

just what I needed, though i must say the rig I'm building tolly pwns that n00bescent machine ya got workin there.

8)

But seriously, I've been on newegg all day every day for a couple weeks workin out what I'ma get done. I've got the case, power supply, mother board, and monitor on the way, and the cpu and vid card picked out as well..
I cancelleg the order on the eVGA 7900 gt because I'm opting for the slightly more overclocked XFX brand 7900 gt.

speaking of... here's the case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811146018

here's the motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131540

here's the powersupply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817103931

and the display : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824224008

Please no replies about how stupid the parts I bought are, or what you think I should have bought, which is invariably what whoever it is correcting happens to own. I don't need to hear about what noob purchases I've made. All I want to know is if there are any actual incompatabilities I missed in what I've got so far.

The proc is gonna be the AMD 64 4000+ 2.4 Ghz.
vid card gonna be the XFX 7900 GT.

still shopping around for the hard drive...

Any help would be greatly appreciated., any criticisms you can keep to yourself.
:wink:

Return to “PC Building/Mods”