Wow.. ... -SpeachLess-

Showoff your 1337 skills
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

eXg. focus wrote: I know everything about the skulltrail. it's socket 775, so of course i7s wouldn't work in it. I just can't imagine that on a CPU only basis that the skulltrail setup would outperform an i7 965. the qx9775 was the cpu of choice in most of the benchmarks I've seen on the skulltrail, still can't imagine two of those beating 8 virtual cores on the 965. I'll see if i can find some comparisons.
nope, skulltrail was never 775, it is 771 which was a server chipset. the qx9775 was never released for commercial use outside of the skulltrail (unless you wanted to drop $1500 for a server processor that would be better served by a xenon anyways). furthermore, essentially all parts of the skulltrail, except for the nvidia nforce 100 mcp, are server parts. even the required ram was server ram, fb-dimm. overall, i would say that since skulltrail has achieved clock speeds between 3.2 and 6.0 ghz it can effectively dominate the i7 chips.

having said that, i highly doubt there is a single direct comparison between the two setups as skulltrail was delivered DOA due to cost, availability of parts, practicality, and lack of consumer demand.

ps: you still misunderstood my misunderstanding it seems. i thought you were saying why not use a mobo that supports two i7 cores and i was asking if you knew of any mobos that did. clear as mud?

overall, my whole point is that this is a stupid design from apple that is going to fool a lot of people.
better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt.
Ruiner

Post by Ruiner »

you guys done cock fighting? :P
CaMeL
Doom 3

Post by CaMeL »

mines bigger!
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

eXg. CaMeL wrote:mines bigger!
No mine is bigger.
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

hey, i didn't mean to sound like i was picking a fight, and i figure focus didn't either. we were just discussing it, though i was confused for a little bit.

i still heart you focus. :D
eXg. Phenom
Open Roster

Post by eXg. Phenom »

eXg. Ruiner wrote:you guys done cock fighting? :P
where do i sign up?

My Spear vs your guys' Daggers.
Ruiner

Post by Ruiner »

i knew you guys were discussing, just wanted to throw some smiles around ;]

good reads though between you two
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

Hrmm.. I'm still not finding any direct comparisons between a skulltrail and i7 965. I'd prefer that all the other components be as similar as possible. aside from ddr2 vs ddr3 obviously.
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

okay, now i'm completely lost as to what you are talking about focus. care to clarify?
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

supercat1 wrote:okay, now i'm completely lost as to what you are talking about focus. care to clarify?
Jesus titty $#@*&# christ. I want a side by side comparison in benchmarks.

core i7 965 vs Skulltrail 2x 9775

Which scores higher in various benchmarks, games, etc. That's all I've been talking about this entire time. How is this a confusing thing?

How can I make this any clearer?
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

having said that, i highly doubt there is a single direct comparison between the two setups as skulltrail was delivered DOA due to cost, availability of parts, practicality, and lack of consumer demand.
i'll go so far as to say you will never find a direct comparison because skulltrail was left for dead by everyone, including intel, as soon as it was released. clearly they didn't actually want it for more than purely demonstration purposes. though you may be able to take benchmarks from when skulltrail was released and compare them to i7 scores. but i doubt they have any benchmarks for the 6.06ghz skulltrail.

edit: tomshardware doesn't even list the qx9775, only the 9770. they were essentially the same chip i believe, but the 9770 was not able to do dual because it was 775 and there are no dual cpu 775 boards. having said that it does look like if it were to do an even 1:1 scaling when adding a second cpu that it would blow away the 965. that isn't a likely performance ratio, but it should be able to make up the ~7k point difference in this test. that would only require about a 50% increase from adding another 4 cores which shouldn't be unreasonable.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

Well, there's at least 1 guy on the evga forums with a skulltrail setup wanting to switch to i7, so I'll see if he puts up some side by side stuff. :D
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

wow ... that guy is stupid for having purchased skulltrail. i can't imagine why someone would have done that as it had no real practical value. it had no upgrade path and the performance to price was not nearly close to other setups.

at the same time, it would be fun to say i owned a skulltrail. :) hopefully he does post some comparisons though because the parts are so drastically different it may be hard to really say it is an apples to apples comparison.

Return to “PC Building/Mods”