Wow.. ... -SpeachLess-

Showoff your 1337 skills
eXg. Pheon1x
Quake 4 US

Wow.. ... -SpeachLess-

Post by eXg. Pheon1x »

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... co=MTE4MTU

My Teacher bought 24 of these monsters for his computer tech class at our votech..

i saw that thing and about s**t my pants when i saw the CPU

8 Cores!...

I am really thinking about buying this... with Xp Pro, Vista Ultimate and prolly sum type of linux ..

4tb, dual-Quad core is standard!
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

Ewwwwwwwww

$2,799.00 and a 1 year Limited Hardware Warranty?

CrUsH will pass :D

I'm sure they will perform well with allot of stuff used in school. With that kind of money you can duplicate that easy on the PC side and get a better warranty.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner »

the one thing i like about that is the case & cooling system! apple is so tempting from the eye candy & beauty of their products
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

guys, these are xenon processors, not core2s. the xenon is a server processor through and through. it isn't bad but it is in no way intended for the gaming realm. just look at the specs of the mac pro's video card -- ati 2600, 8800gt (a good card, but old now), and a quadro fx. the ati is an old (more accurately ancient) card, the 8800gt is outdated (though still a solid card), and the quadro is purely for workstations and should never be used for gaming. if anything, this strikes me as a stripped down skulltrail system, and we all know where that went -- no where! do not be fooled, apple makes some good things, but anymore there is no reason to purchase one of their desktops unless you can't live without osx.

now if we were talking about a capable and quality laptop then this would be a different story. or if apple was some how releasing a dual quad core i7 mac pro, but this is a sham that you won't be happy with.
better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt.
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

THanks SuperCat if i want an 8 core system i'll just build skull trial twice powerful then that apple system ;) but that's prety cool pheonix :O
eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore

Post by eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore »

BugZz wrote:THanks SuperCat if i want an 8 core system i'll just build skull trial twice powerful then that apple system ;) but that's prety cool pheonix :O
only way i'd get one of those systems is if i got it for free:

end of story:

"Am a pc" 8)
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

BugZz wrote:THanks SuperCat if i want an 8 core system i'll just build skull trial twice powerful then that apple system ;) but that's prety cool pheonix :O
for 8 cores, why Skulltrail instead of i7? (i know it's quad with hyper-threading)
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

eXg. focus wrote:
for 8 cores, why Skulltrail instead of i7? (i know it's quad with hyper-threading)
Well i was just saying. but for photoshop and s**t skulltrail is still there
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

well i don't think there is an i7 dual quad core out there is there? plus, though skulltrail was built with the qx9775 in mind (as that was all it was ever demonstrated with) it can run with xenon processors and is effectively a workstation machine with some slight mods on the hardware side. or that is what i gathered from wiki at least.

all in all though, if you want a really good apple desktop, just make a hackintosh. i plan on doing so at some point this year. :D
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

If somebody hands me a big hammer, Ill make a "HackNTosh" :lol:

eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

supercat1 wrote:well i don't think there is an i7 dual quad core out there is there?
wot?
Ruiner

Post by Ruiner »

if somebody hands you a big hammer make me a mac case that's pc compatible ;]
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

eXg. focus wrote:
supercat1 wrote:well i don't think there is an i7 dual quad core out there is there?
wot?
not sure how much you know of skulltrail, but it was literally two quad core processors. so i assumed you were asking why not use two i7 quad cores. apparently not. and no, hyperthreading isn't really anything like having two physical quad cores. ;) simulation is still different from reality.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

supercat1 wrote:
eXg. focus wrote:
wot?
not sure how much you know of skulltrail, but it was literally two quad core processors. so i assumed you were asking why not use two i7 quad cores. apparently not. and no, hyperthreading isn't really anything like having two physical quad cores. ;) simulation is still different from reality.
I know everything about the skulltrail. it's socket 775, so of course i7s wouldn't work in it. I just can't imagine that on a CPU only basis that the skulltrail setup would outperform an i7 965. the qx9775 was the cpu of choice in most of the benchmarks I've seen on the skulltrail, still can't imagine two of those beating 8 virtual cores on the 965. I'll see if i can find some comparisons.

Return to “PC Building/Mods”