Things you dont like about EMZ

The ONLY place to go, for EVERYTHING EMZ.

Moderator: simulation

simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

cd\pan1ck1ng wrote:any chance you can revert back to the original d3 server search :)
Is what made online gaming so approchable for me .
you can see all the servers and who is playing without waiting for names to scroll up.
Ok, now I'm really not understanding this one! The standard D3 server list shows 11 servers, the EMZ one shows 17 - how is that worse? Either way you have to scroll.

Plus, you can click on the SLOTS filter to quickly hide empty servers if you only want to see those with players on.

AND filter by gametype and ping too!
Grinder {IFZ}
Forum Bot

Post by Grinder {IFZ} »

you haft to wait for names to appear to see who is on server.
dunno why but in my opinion original server would be best if it showed all servers and never missed any .
I usually just refresh a couple of times until server im after shows up.
you asked for input and this is my 2 cents.
If you asked for positives then I would say ambient lighting is single most best thing about emz and you should get a medal for it :)
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

cd\pan1ck1ng wrote:you haft to wait for names to appear to see who is on server.
Or you could just set "Large Names: Off"...

Anyway, I do intend to rework that screen a little in next release. The large names think will probably bite the dust then anyway.
cd\pan1ck1ng wrote:dunno why but in my opinion original server would be best if it showed all servers and never missed any .
Original server list skips servers too. If they don't respond quick enough they don't get added to the list. Nothing simple I can do about that because the timeout is fixed in Doom3.exe.
cd\pan1ck1ng wrote:If you asked for positives then I would say ambient lighting is single most best thing about emz and you should get a medal for it :)
Well, the next version has an additional ambient system which does not have the dark patches...

http://www.the-emz.com/lights/

Sim
Grinder {IFZ}
Forum Bot

Post by Grinder {IFZ} »

Or you could just set "Large Names: Off"...

just another over complication i didnt know about sry sim :roll:
why would anyone want this on?
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

cd\pan1ck1ng wrote:Or you could just set "Large Names: Off"...

just another over complication i didnt know about sry sim :roll:
why would anyone want this on?
No worries. I am going to clean up/simplify stuff in the future. The whole 1.31 menu system was an experiment in coding to see how loads of things work.

Don't forget that most of what goes into EMZ is just me messing about with coding stuff to see how it works. I'm a coder first; not a gamer or a designer so I screw stuff up.

Many of the things I try to do are purely from a technology point of view now; things that D3 isn't supposed to do that I want to push; custom server lists, 3d animated player models in the menus, netdemos. All these came with Q4 because the engine had added support but with D3 its all about finding a way.

Netdemos that will be in the next version came out of me having one of those "I wonder if this technique would work!" moments while driving to work one day. I thought, "Great! Netdemos! People will love this" - I posted on most D3 clan forums and - I'm not kidding - the biggest response I got was "what is a netdemo?".

I do try and listen to what people want as features too, but very few people post requests on the EMZ forums. Mostly I get feedback from clan forums and in game, but thats usually just stuff I stumble across.

Sim
Grinder {IFZ}
Forum Bot

Post by Grinder {IFZ} »

reminds me of aliens when girl comando says "just tell me where they are" :)
which is what it is all about for me :)
Doom3 Mr.T

Post by 72826 »

Also, Sim. How do you refresh the emz server browser?
There's nothing like the sound of a mandolin as it breaks across another man's face.
uknonw
Forum Visitor

Post by uknonw »

cd\pan1ck1ng wrote:any chance you can revert back to the original d3 server search :)
you can see all the servers and who is playing without waiting for names to scroll up.
i agree, you could also sort by name, and amount of players... in emz its rough.
The weapon of the suit is unknown.
eXg. Phenom
Open Roster

Post by eXg. Phenom »

Things I don't Like about EMZ?

Well first of all, i dont like simulation...bahahhah jk man.
no but really people dog on EMZ a lot but for every 100 good things about EMZ there is 1 bad thing, and people always notice the bad thing the most.

pwncakes.

love you sim.
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

uknonw wrote:
i agree, you could also sort by name, and amount of players... in emz its rough.
Well, you can filter by busy/ping to narrow the list. I figure that with D3 there weren't that many servers that sorting was a requirement any more.

I'll see what I have time for with respect to sorting.
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

tyrant wrote:Also, Sim. How do you refresh the emz server browser?
Just click on "net" or "lan" to get a new list.
SunTzu

Post by SunTzu »

i dont like its q4 projest stopped :p
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

eXg. Phenom wrote:no but really people dog on EMZ a lot but for every 100 good things about EMZ there is 1 bad thing, and people always notice the bad thing the most.
Yeah, thats why its hard to keep motivated with it sometimes. People b***h like hell but never take the time to look at the website or experiment with the settings.

Even during the 1.3 BETA phase I hardly got any feedback directly - the only way I found out about bugs was reading through the chat logs.

I will probably run an invite only closed beta for the first phase of the next release. Having it open last time was a problem because most players didn't realise it was a TEST server and that they should expect bugs - they just bitched that stuff was different or broken.

For the tests I deliberately made the new features "on" by default so people would see that they were there but all you get for doing that is more bitching. Thats why the final relase had everything pretty much defaulting to "standard D3" settings.
eXg. SunTzu wrote:i dont like its q4 projest stopped :p
All through the Q4/xbattle/q4max crap I was so glad I decided not to continue with Q4 EMZ; massive respect to AnthonyJ @ Q4MAX for putting up with all the crap and ignorance and for id Software for stepping up and investing so much time to fix Raven's problems.

Q4MAX has way more than EMZ ever could have done; AnthonyJ should work for a gaming studio IMO. He really understand the gaming AND the coding.

I bought D3 for £35 in August 2004 and have played or coded for it since then. Thats less than £0.03 a day - best value from a game ever!
Grinder {IFZ}
Forum Bot

Post by Grinder {IFZ} »

eXg. Phenom wrote:Things I don't Like about EMZ?

Well first of all, i dont like simulation...bahahhah jk man.
no but really people dog on EMZ a lot but for every 100 good things about EMZ there is 1 bad thing, and people always notice the bad thing the most.

pwncakes.

love you sim.
of coarse i love sim :)
thread askes for things you dont like and my posts reflect that
and is all I can think of :)
good work sim keep it up :)

Return to “EMZ -- Enhanced Militarized Zone”