Server mod change tut

The ONLY place to go, for EVERYTHING EMZ.

Moderator: simulation

>:(

67%
33%

Total votes: 3
uknonw
Forum Visitor

Server mod change tut

Post by uknonw »

EDIT: works fine on aowc servers
lol
ok your wooping ass on your aowc emz server, but you got zombie spotted and need too woop his ass... but you cant! you have to go to your server's provider control panel, do some stuff, then bam you transformed your server into a lms server.

sure sounds nice, but what if you can do that with a rcon command lol

we take a look at two files,
goto_emz.cfg
goto_lms.cfg

these are doom config, thier basicly like .bat files except you can only fill them with doom3 commands and d3 loads them in order.
to execute one of these inside doom youd do exec "confignameherenoquotes"

in goto_emz.cfg we have the following text...

Code: Select all

set fs_game emz
reloadengine
wait 1000
spawnserver
say done
sounds nice, self explanitory...
set fs_game emz , lets cue the next reloadengine to change mod to emz
reloadengine , lets reloadengine... loading emz
wait 1000 , if you send the spawnserver command too fast to the server it will crash, lets wait 1000 milo seconds aka 1 second... that should be enough right??
spawnserver , start the server
say done , server says done in chat d3 w/e...

in goto_lms.cfg you would have the same... except the line set fs_game "modname here" is different. (yes you can include the quotes if you want)

so you would upload those files to your doom3/base/ folder of your server... no need for none of that chd? mod stuff...
they can be uploaded while the server is in motion, and called too.

how do you go about calling these new files?

rcon exec goto_emz.cfg
or

rcon exec goto_lms.cfg
very simple... works fine, it should work on every platform these arent bat files, they are... doom3bat! LOL TY

what should happen is the server changes mod and ktnxbai, users will get disconnected take note of that... all they would have to is reconnect in the next 10 seconds. becouse if my piece of crap comp takes 10 seconds then im sure those aowc comps would take like 5 or 2 lol.

oh ya one more thing, if you spell something wrong in fs_game the game will revert to stock d3.

haf fun and fail please fail.
Last edited by uknonw on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The weapon of the suit is unknown.
eXg. Johnny
Forum Master

Post by eXg. Johnny »

move subject please :)
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

Nice idea. Not thought of doing that!

I may be able to use that for switching my hosted server from live EMZ to test EMZ!
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

simulation wrote:Nice idea. Not thought of doing that!

I may be able to use that for switching my hosted server from live EMZ to test EMZ!
Although, the server host job scheduler will probably see that the original process has stopped and kick off an auto restart - so beware when tring this on commercial servers - may be worth checking with the admins first.
uknonw
Forum Visitor

Post by uknonw »

ya but in no way do those commands close doom3ded.exe, unless somehow the host can recognize if the server is offline or online somehow...
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

uknonw wrote:ya but in no way do those commands close doom3ded.exe, unless somehow the host can recognize if the server is offline or online somehow...
Ah thats cool. Good detective work!

Only one problem remains. The CVar system doesn't get shut down by the reloadEngine command. That means that if one mod has the same CVar name but different flags as 'base' (or another mod) of then the original CVar definition is retained.

This sort of thing is rare but does happen. With early versions of FMJ we unlocked the pm_thirdPerson CVar but players found that when the loaded standard Doom first then FMJ the CVar was still locked.

Other than that, should work a treat!
uknonw
Forum Visitor

Post by uknonw »

hmm i did notice that too all emz cvars still loaded, and strangly it tries to exec editor.cfg for some odd reason... no problems so far though

BTW works fine on aowc servers... tested it on the forgoton {SS} dallas server... the one no one plays on :cry:
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

Bear and Sim team up releasing EMZ vL.0.L

Return to “EMZ -- Enhanced Militarized Zone”