I'm just too 1337!!!

I'm gonna stick to q4....

SunTzu

Post by SunTzu »

d3 omg rofl
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

As a 1vs1 tourney game I personally still feel that doom3 owns, it would be awsome to still have it at QC. I'm not going though, so either way I miss out. :(
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

Done... and i dropped some respect for EMZ. :D
td
Account Suspended

Post by td »

On a more serious note here...

I'd like to play Doom3 on a semi-competitive level again as well. D3 isn't the most balanced game ever, but it's a game that actually rewards skill with frags (unlike Quake 4...).

The game still has some vagaries as a competitive game though. What maps are acceptable for one? I don't think DM3\DM5 were good competition maps, mainly because of the invisibility power-up. It's a power-up that only offers anything on defensive-side and just slows the game down for 30 seconds, therefore creating a semi-boring spectator experience. I'd like to see the following maps in a map-pool I suppose:

-DM2
-DM4
-Swelt1 (Phrantic)
-Swelt2 (Never Outgunned)

Another thing to note is that most of the competitive community is gone...I doubt you'll be seeing high caliper players like Clamp/Thump4/etcetera coming back to play. Well really, the community as a whole is small, but I think a decent turnout (let's say 128 entries) could be pulled off with some promotion of the tournament and EMZ mod. One thing I'd like to see personally, is an online preparation tournament of sorts.

That's all I have to say, for now atleast.
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

It's interesting to see the crowds come back to Doom....seeing how it was "dead" only a few months ago. :wink: But on a serious note..

DM-02 Delta Labs 8)
Dm-04 The Edge :lol:
Are Great Maps to play a one on one. The Edge is great do to the ability to manuvre a large map quickly. And the Delta labs is great because of it's small size....Perfect to a Tourney IMO.

Swelt-1
Swelt-2
Now Phrantic I have never really enjoyed as it favors lots of Camping (again IMO...) and all you have to do is chill up top and listen... :roll: Plus having two rocket launchers, two teleporters, along with the power up on the same side of the stage seems silly to me. It favors spawning instead of skills if the match is close.
Never OutGunned is a great selection Tardyd and often under-rated in my book. It's got great flow to it and is easy to Strafe Jump, levels arent' high enough where you just die from falling, LOTS OF VARIED WEAPONS, and the Mega Health location is brilliant. :twisted:

I would like to see Delta for sure and Never OutGunned and of course EMZ.

With regards to those names, it would bring some notoriety to the Tourney but NOT having them gives others a chance at the spotlight. Peeps like NinjaTS, HollowPo1nt, Crush, will have a chance to give their clan notoriety and earn some cash cause most goons like fatal1ty don't really play these games often, they just compete for cash. (At least in the case of Doom 3). Interesting to see playout none the less.

Great picks and comments tard. :D
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

Any thoughts on this??!
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

Hehe thanks for the props bob but I dont have any skillz anymore on doom.

I think watching two people play doom is pretty fun though.

One day there will be matches on TV and people are going to watch them as if they were watching the superbowls....

td
Account Suspended

Post by td »

I disagree that Phrantic is a bad map...yes, you can just sit around on the top, but you still have to move around atleast a bit.

In Quake 4's version of Phrantic atleast, you have to choose whether you want to control the two YAs (safer because of positioning), or the one RA (dangerous but can be pulled off). It's the same in Doom3, except the RA is a megahealth. At the very least, it can be interesting to watch people rocket-jump out of the megahealth room to the lower armor or up to the mid for one, atleast I do it and others do\will do.

Spawn-raping is a skill IMO, and even though it's a guessing game with the rockets on Phrantic, it can be hilarious to watch.

Another thing is one can attack from the back with Chain\Plasma\Machine and get kills that way, too.
Ruiner

Post by Ruiner »

I still think Doom 3 is the s**t. I do like Quake 4 though Doom 3 was my first game playing. With about 5-10 elite maps - Pro made, the engine fixed a tad for lag issue, a new weapon for some new strategy added in. It'd rock even more.

It's all about patience and brains in D3, I've got that just give me a new connection for 40ping & less ;]

I'd LIKE to make a map or test out in Modding, but I've had time cut. I've had so many ideas come in and out for maps. I guess I could dedicate an hour or so everyday in doing that.
XvileX
Forum Junkie

Post by XvileX »

eXg. Ruiner wrote:
I'd LIKE to make a map or test out in Modding, but I've had time cut. I've had so many ideas come in and out for maps. I guess I could dedicate an hour or so everyday in doing that.
You got it man, baby steps! Definately the way to go. Don't burn yerself out...
Ruiner

Post by Ruiner »

It'll take a few months if so, tourney map. I haven't seen any maps created that resembles the feel to what delta and frag offer. Extra added touches, detail, perfection, weapon placements... etc. I think delta should of been a room or two bigger. I see people route the same path over and over. Frag I see as a map wih two sides. Shotgun, plasma, machinegun available for if you don't get control first. Shards and backpack are your armour source, 50+ if you can delay his route. So I'm going to try to keep it even and uncontrollable at a good size.

I'll aim to make this a perfect map, I need to start sketching first

bare with me though :?
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

eXg. Ruiner wrote:It'll take a few months if so, tourney map. I haven't seen any maps created that resembles the feel to what delta and frag offer. Extra added touches, detail, perfection, weapon placements... etc. I think delta should of been a room or two bigger. I see people route the same path over and over. Frag I see as a map wih two sides. Shotgun, plasma, machinegun available for if you don't get control first. Shards and backpack are your armour source, 50+ if you can delay his route. So I'm going to try to keep it even and uncontrollable at a good size.

I'll aim to make this a perfect map, I need to start sketching first

bare with me though :?

Dood, if you need help give me a holla. Mark my words tho. You have allot of work ahead of you.....

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner »

will do

Return to “Doom3, Doom4”