Video games in 2525

Something about anything goes here.
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Video games in 2525

Post by BugZz »

Ask The Futurist
Glen Hiemstra, a bona fide futurist, talks about gaming in year 2525. Let the prognostication begin.
BY SCOTT JONES

While taking a break from playing digit-busting games like God Hand, our pixel-addled brains tend to wander. We mull over such questions as: Will robots make good friends? Will people stop spouting off about Battlestar Galactica? Most importantly, what video games will be like 25, 50 and 200 years from now?

To find answers to these questions, GameDaily tracked down Glen Heimstra, the founder of futurist.com, author of Turning The Future Into Revenue and visiting scholar at the Human Interface Technology Lab at the University of Washington.

Isn't a futurist basically a fortune teller with a university degree instead of a crystal ball?

[Laughs] In a certain sense… Basically, I spend a lot of time being a consumer of long-term future trend information. I think about where we're heading, why we're headed that way, and what we ought to be doing about it.

So what's the big, bad gaming story of the next 100 years?

In my book that just came out, I write about the six key IT trends and the MMORPG is definitely one of the six most important IT trends of our time.

Still out there on the horizon are more total immersion-types of augmented reality, which will become possible as tech gets better and cheaper. Games like Second Life are precursors to where we'll be in 25 years in terms of totally immersive environments.

Fifty years from now, the difference between real life and virtual life will probably be indistinguishable; it will be possible to be confused. And certainly that would be true 100 years from now. ...

How will the gameplay experience itself change?

You'll have independent avatars. These days you create avatars, and you move them around, but 100 years from now you'll create a dozen avatars and they'll all be playing at the same time independently from you. People won't know if it's you or your avatar they're interacting with.

Will people wear crazy-looking VR helmets or have rooms in their homes like they do in Ray Bradbury's short story, "The Veldt"?

Twenty-five years from now, interactive tools will likely be either virtual retina display glasses or contact lenses that somehow act as augmented reality screens as well as enable you to see the real world. Of course, your connection to the 'Net will be something that you wear all the time.

Contact lenses. Sweet.

Younger people are always into these kinds of games, and that will always stay historically true. They are leaders in terms of the adoption of these kinds of technologies. Twenty-five years from now, they will quite likely be in the game all the time. Even while they're attending school, going out with girlfriends, etc., they will also be "in" many games … checking in from time to time to see how they're doing...

Contact lenses. Sweet.

Younger people are always into these kinds of games, and that will always stay historically true. They are leaders in terms of the adoption of these kinds of technologies. Twenty-five years from now, they will quite likely be in the game all the time. Even while they're attending school, going out with girlfriends, etc., they will also be "in" many games … checking in from time to time to see how they're doing. ...

You're right about everything except probably the "girlfriend" part. Let's talk about violence. It seems like there’s always something to fight against in games. Will it always be about kicking ass/taking names?

Some people in and out of the game world think that as games get more immersive, and can mimic real life, they can finally move away from "hunt and destroy" kinds of games.

I don't see those kinds of games going away, but being added to. ... Sort of like the way that Second Life has a place where you can go play war games. It's one of the things you can do, but it's not the only thing you can do. Games will continue like that, offering [shooting/killing] as an option, rather than having it be the whole game.

Yesterday, two 15- or 16-year-olds stood on the street and held an in-depth conversation about the Macintosh Operating System while simultaneously typing on Sidekicks and listening to iPods. What's up with that? It makes people in, um, older generations look inadequate.

You've heard the term the "digital natives?" It's a great term. Baby boomers sort of invented microchips. Gen X invented the World Wide Web. And the digital natives, they live in that world. How old are you?

Let's just say 30-something and leave it at that.

You're a digital immigrant.

Now, if you give a new game to a digital native, it takes him three to five minutes to intuit everything he needs to know.

I [tell] business audiences: if you're thinking about how you'll use IT in your businesses 20 years from now, don’t think about yourselves -- think about the digital natives. They will be the work force, and they'll take it beyond what we imagine. This is the way the world has always been.

For example, the idea of walking around inside three or four games at once while you're also conducting your real life, that might sound kind of far fetched. But if you think about those 14 and 15 year olds walking around now, you know, basically talking to the air much of the time, and then give them a set of contacts that enable them to see a virtual world while they also see you, and some gesture-based interface, and then make them 14 or 15 years old again in the year 2025, it's very realistic to think that would be a pretty normal and natural world
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
ARC
Forum Regular

Post by ARC »

We wont be alive then :lol:

"Twenty-five years from now, they will quite likely be in the game all the time. Even while they're attending school, going out with girlfriends,"

lol you could lock on to your teacher then open your text box conventiently with your finger and type /kill
eXg.Shaggy
Counter-Strike Source

Post by eXg.Shaggy »

ARC is right we wont be liveing and they will be in game then :P
Veloc1ty90
Forum Master

Post by Veloc1ty90 »

Shaggy/Reptile wrote:ARC is right we wont be liveing and they will be in game then :P
ha speek for urself :P
eXg.Shaggy
Counter-Strike Source

Post by eXg.Shaggy »

lol will u will be dead to
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

hell no i wont by year 2020 im getting a clone s**t yeah i wont be dead. :P
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
eXg.Shaggy
Counter-Strike Source

Post by eXg.Shaggy »

rofl that sounds like a good idea :)
Eraserhead
Forum Regular

Post by Eraserhead »

hopefully they'll have advanced wii controllers, where older folk can use their canes and wheelchairs, hell even dentures to control the game somehow.
You never know when an old calendar might come in handy! Sure, it's not 1985 right now, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?
Veloc1ty90
Forum Master

Post by Veloc1ty90 »

ha i am really hopin when i am like 45 or something and have a couple kids they say to me, "wow you thought those graphics were good!!!?? man u guys were noobs...u thought dx10 was a big deal??? plz...."
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

lmfao
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

u know what i don't care now when im dead I'll be playing all the videos games i want hell yeah now that's even better! :lol:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
eXg.Shaggy
Counter-Strike Source

Post by eXg.Shaggy »

rofl u guys this is a great topic
JUDGE
Forum Bot

Post by JUDGE »

Cool thoughts, but I think the guy is talking out his ass.

60 years ago they were certain we'd have flying cars and be making the moon a vacation spot by now.

The truth is no one knows what will happen. I'm sure technology will increase by leaps and bounds, but to say specifically what will happen is just making s**t up.
deathr0w
Forum Elite

Post by deathr0w »

JUDGE wrote:Cool thoughts, but I think the guy is talking out his ass.

60 years ago they were certain we'd have flying cars and be making the moon a vacation spot by now.

The truth is no one knows what will happen. I'm sure technology will increase by leaps and bounds, but to say specifically what will happen is just making s**t up.
Agreed...
Steam: exgdeathrow
QLIVE: deathr0w
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

nonE wrote:
JUDGE wrote:Cool thoughts, but I think the guy is talking out his ass.

Agreed...
I agree as well.

Return to “General Public Chat”