Server

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Server

Post by eXg. sabooya »

I am looking to purchase a new CPU I am looking at a
AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1000MHz HT 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6819103588

I will also be getting a 7900GT and 2GB RAM
I would like to create a CS:S or D3 Server on it. Will I be able to carry a 14 man server and still be able to use day to day computer functions? Or is this asking too much?
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

You will have to check your UPLOAD speed to see, how fast and how much you have. I can't speak to the CSS game, as I don't know it's requirements. Doom 3 requires, roughly 100K/per client of upload. So with all things being equal, if you had 400K/sec. upload speeds, then you could host a 4 player, 800K, 8 player, etc. I don't think CSS is anywhere as hard to serve up.

You could find a site similar to this, and test your speeds.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

PuN
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

lol
what i have now i get 351 upload... I cant have more then 3 players, but taht makes sense, because on css i cant hold more then 4 on what i have. SO it doesnt matter what CPU i have to host? Well... I might as well just buy a server then.
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Well it's your call, but it's very smart that you posted up here first. Alot of people just don't get the fact that there are two channels (for all intensive purposes), up channel, and down channel. 99 times out of a 100 your down, is multiples faster than your up channel. The lovely bastards at the ISP's love to save money by only cranking up the down channel, while saving bandwidth on the up channel. It started out because technically if you're just surfing, getting mail, etc, the up stream requests are small, and the down gets more action. Plus, the DO realize that peole just love to be in breach of their ISP ruels, regarding running servers. Hehehe. Now there are ways around this, but, not fit for the forums. With that speed, you would either have to see if you can upgrade your package, which could double your upstream, or possibly a different service. If that doesn't pan out, then a game, that is less demanding could host more. Also, any money spent on a state of the art CPU would be wasted, if it was purchased, JUST for a server, with those upload specs.

PuN

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”