Possible upgrade?

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
Veloc1ty90
Forum Master

Possible upgrade?

Post by Veloc1ty90 »

All right guys I need a bit of help. As most of you know, I am not as 'computer smart' as alot of you guys are. I know a bit, but mainly just love the games lol. But, this x-mas, I am getting quite a bit of cash, and I am thinking of putting some of it into some upgrades. Current specs can be found here. So, my question is, what would be the best upgrades to get for a decent price? Based on the new max-pc, it looks like the EVGA e-Geforce 8800GT SSC is a great buy for the price. I also want to get another GB of memory. Recomendations? Gimme all the info you can think up, cuz I am pretty much clueless as to what will run well with what :)
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

Your looking to that card in your laptop or build a compelety new rig?
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Veloc1ty90
Forum Master

Post by Veloc1ty90 »

suki wrote:Your looking to that card in your laptop or build a compelety new rig?
Upgrading laptop
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

Don't get the SSC. The core is fine, but they overdid it on the shaders and a lot of them are getting damaged because of the cooling issue.

Get a KO or Superclocked and do the rest of the overclocking yourself with Rivatuner.

If you need a hand with that I can help.

2 gb is the ideal ram amount at this time.
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

Veloc1ty90 wrote:
suki wrote:Your looking to that card in your laptop or build a compelety new rig?
Upgrading laptop

8800GT is not made for laptops yet only card made for laptops in 8 seris is 8600GTS
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Veloc1ty90
Forum Master

Post by Veloc1ty90 »

eXg. f0cus wrote:Don't get the SSC. The core is fine, but they overdid it on the shaders and a lot of them are getting damaged because of the cooling issue.

Get a KO or Superclocked and do the rest of the overclocking yourself with Rivatuner.

OK, so just grab another stick of DDR2? I noticed there was a 'DDR3' now, does it matter?
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

Veloc1ty90 wrote:
eXg. f0cus wrote:Don't get the SSC. The core is fine, but they overdid it on the shaders and a lot of them are getting damaged because of the cooling issue.

OK, so just grab another stick of DDR2? I noticed there was a 'DDR3' now, does it matter?
ddr3 doesn't matter unless you have a ddr3 compatible board.

Also, i don't know how 'upgradable' laptops generally are, either. All I've ever done was switch out hdd's on laptops. Overall, they're nowhere near as upgrade friendly as desktops are.
Veloc1ty90
Forum Master

Post by Veloc1ty90 »

eXg. f0cus wrote:
Veloc1ty90 wrote:

ddr3 doesn't matter unless you have a ddr3 compatible board.

Also, i don't know how 'upgradable' laptops generally are, either. All I've ever done was switch out hdd's on laptops. Overall, they're nowhere near as upgrade friendly as desktops are.
I can upgrade it. Prolly not myself, may have to take it to a shop or something, I dunno yet. I will check into it. hopefully I can. Cuz I want to upgrade and run the new gaems a bit smoother, but I am too close to college to dedicate 2500 + $$ to a new rig
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

You can build a high end game rig with 800 bucks if you have all your peripherals already. (mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc.)
eXg. Man0waR
Doom 3

Post by eXg. Man0waR »

there are the old versions of the 8800gts for laptops, i dont know if they are on the consumer market or exclusive to dell/alienware(same company) but they do exist. Either wait for the 88gt to get shrunken to the laptop size or try and find an 88gts.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”