7900GT in SLi mode?

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
eXg. apo
Open Roster

7900GT in SLi mode?

Post by eXg. apo »

I was considering buying another GT and running them in SLi mode since i have just come into a lil money that i didnt have a couple of weeks ago :roll: or id have brought a GTX

but reading this thread

http://forums.firingsquad.com/firingsqu ... d.id=74871

appears to be a problem?

anyone got any gen? is it worth doing, and why is there a problem? or sint there?
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

From all I've read, sli is better for single player, but running just one card for multi is better. I don't understand the mechanics of it, but that's what I've read.. *shrug*
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

If you want to improve your games, I would reccomend getting a bigger, and better monitor. You can actually increase fps on you monitor by getting a better one. And if you get a super fast response time >6ms it will look super smooth. Many people dont realise, an awsome monitor is as important as an awsome GPU.

PS dude u have a 7900GT... i have a 6600GT wanna trade?
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

sabooya wrote:If you want to improve your games, I would reccomend getting a bigger, and better monitor. You can actually increase fps on you monitor by getting a better one. And if you get a super fast response time >6ms it will look super smooth. Many people dont realise, an awsome monitor is as important as an awsome GPU.

PS dude u have a 7900GT... i have a 6600GT wanna trade?
Totally. The reponse time really does add to the realism. And remember most lcd's won't refresh past 60hz so if you play non-id games consider that!
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Well, glad to see I wasn't totally off base when I recommended to everyone to get the 7800GT's and GTX's. Sometimes, the brand spanking new STUFF, has, hehe, hidden issues. I cannot see that NVidia wouldn't fix that however. To new of a card to NOT to.

Agreed on the monitor. Most times, it's the refresh rate that can hold you back, but then again, you can disable VSync, but then you get tearing.

LCD's are, and can be VERY nice. I am almost ready to make the jump again, after 1 year, after a failed attmept at using a Dell 21" LCD, which I just didn't like. Dark is right that tech. they only run at 60Hz., but the actuall LCD on/off states then come into play. Think of it as an equivelant to a tube's refresh rate. The b***h here is, that just as soon as people realize that response times ARE important, the damn manufacturers, start to play games, with the figures. Grey to grey, completely on to completely off, black to white, etc. etc. You get what you pay for. Do not buy TOO big of an LCD because THEN, you will have to scale down below it's NATIVE resolution, so that your vid card can play the game with enough FPS for you. Sure you can get a 24" widescreen, but it's got some sick, 1990X1440 resolution or something, and good luck trying to get ANY SLI to play a game at THAT resolution. Can't do it, then you have to go BELOW the native resoution, which then forces interpolation, which, hehe, can be a crap shoot.

Research, first, then buy, be happy, and game.

PuN
motionOne
Forum Master

Post by motionOne »

very informative thread going here. keep it up!
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

I'm of the old ages... I still use a CRT, but my 21" 1600x1200 Res. + the 8ms quick response time was a payoff for deskspace. Some, or rather most would disagree but my system was built for asthetics, but for performance and value. BTW, my monitor was free! :P
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

WOW, that is nice. Interesting thing is, I had assumed it would have had a MONSTER Native Res, which wouldn't be playable, even by the mightiest of rigs, but it's res is:

Resolution: 1366 x 768

Hmmmm.

PuN
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

eXg. Pun1sher wrote:WOW, that is nice. Interesting thing is, I had assumed it would have had a MONSTER Native Res, which wouldn't be playable, even by the mightiest of rigs, but it's res is:

Resolution: 1366 x 768

Hmmmm.

PuN

A Plasma that big you would have to sit like 20 feet away from it to view it correctly......

eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

well duh dont you do that allready on a normal monitior
:roll:
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

sabooya wrote:well duh dont you do that allready on a normal monitior
:roll:

My 60 inch CRT?.... :roll:

eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

lol, ya! that one! :wink:
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

eXg. CrUsH wrote:A Plasma that big you would have to sit like 20 feet away from it to view it correctly......
Awwww, that's a bunch of crap. I've been sitting up front and center, and I've never had ANY problems.

PuN

Hahaha you cant Autocamp in front of the plasma like that..... :shock:

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”