Which vid card?

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
TH3DARKMARKET
Forum Regular

Which vid card?

Post by TH3DARKMARKET »

I plan on getting a new rig soon because my current one blows and doesn't allow me to run some games that I want to join you guys in. So should I got with:

A single NVIDIA Geforce 7950 GX2 1GB 16X PCI Express Video Card

or

two NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GTX 512MB 16X PCI Express Video Cards

Any help would be greatly appreciated ... thanks guys.
-:: Add th3darkmarket for Steam and Xfire ::-
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

What card do you have now?

eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

ultimately the decision should be based on your motherboard. If you have an SLi motherboard, and it DOES NOT slow down the bus speed to 8x, instead of 16x, then I'd lean towards the GTX SLi setup. BUT, if it can only handle one 16x at a time, then go with the 7950.

I'm running 7900 GT SLi, but my mobo slows it to dual 8x. It's still more powerful, but there's overhead room for more kick.

Hope this helps!! :)
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

Hmm... Nvidia just released drivers to allow DIY Quad SLI.... Depends on your budget and monitor then i guess.... Oh and def. what Crizush said tizoo! 8)
TH3DARKMARKET
Forum Regular

Post by TH3DARKMARKET »

eXg. CrUsH wrote:What card do you have now?
The past setup I had burnt up so I'm afraid there is no vid card now. All I had was a 128mb GeoForce bull crap.

I believe the motherboard allows for Quad SLi but I don't plan on doing that until I get more $$$.
-:: Add th3darkmarket for Steam and Xfire ::-
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Agreed that the MB will dictate your OPTIONS, then you have to choose wisely. Posting up, asking, is quite WISE. :)

I've got a new setup with dual 7900GTX's, and you will not be able to slow them down. They will eat up a 7950. I guess if you were thinking way down the road, that one 7950 now, could lead to another down the road, I'd say, probably not, only because once that point hits, the 7950 will be dated. I vote for SLI 7900GTX's. Make sure you have plenty of airflow, and enough power to feed them, and you'll not be let down.

PuN
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

eXg. Pun1sher wrote:Agreed that the MB will dictate your OPTIONS, then you have to choose wisely. Posting up, asking, is quite WISE. :)

I've got a new setup with dual 7900GTX's, and you will not be able to slow them down. They will eat up a 7950. I guess if you were thinking way down the road, that one 7950 now, could lead to another down the road, I'd say, probably not, only because once that point hits, the 7950 will be dated. I vote for SLI 7900GTX's. Make sure you have plenty of airflow, and enough power to feed them, and you'll not be let down.

PuN

What he says is true. 7900gtx's > 7950. Period.

The Hundred Gunner

Post by The Hundred Gunner »

I wanna get 2 79GTs, volt mod em and get 79GTX speeds. The performance/price is delicious. You get half the memory tho, but still sounds cool to me :D
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

go with the 7900GTX just one 7900GTX beats a 7950.. plus the 7900GT's just came out w/ 512mb cards..the 7900GT's are just has powerful has a GTX and the GTX are just has good has 7950. or u could just wait until next year for the dx10 stuff. :wink:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

eXg. Pun1sher wrote:I vote for SLI 7900GTX's. Make sure you have plenty of airflow, and enough power to feed them, and you'll not be let down.

PuN
same~

but i really dont think you need that much GPU power... just get 1 GTX an extrea 1GB of RAM and a better CPU. There are also those physicis cards (Which might be important in the next few years) Maybe even upgrade your mobo to a better modle.
decisions decisions
:roll:
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

lol u need SLI w/ the games coming out now a days..
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Phobos
Forum Groupie

Post by Phobos »

Will my geforce 7900 gs 256 (nvida duh) be able to run ET:QW at all you think?
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

Phobos wrote:Will my geforce 7900 gs 256 (nvida duh) be able to run ET:QW at all you think?

Of course.

Phobos
Forum Groupie

Post by Phobos »

*wipes sweat off brow*
eXg. CrUsH
Admin

Post by eXg. CrUsH »

Phobos wrote:*wipes sweat off brow*

What proc and how much of what ram do you have in wha motherboard?

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”