Powerline... Need network guidance

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Powerline... Need network guidance

Post by BobMarley! »

Does anyone know how these boxes work? I'm so used to ethernet hubs, phone adapters and what not but does anyone know how these Powerline machines work.

I'm sure that this will be a dumb question BUT....

you gotta have net to run off of powerline right? If so, how does the Phone/Internet company know which power outlet works for you?

Mr. Confused Marley!

PS. Anyone heard from Killa4Hire?! :?:
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Hmmm if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, then I've never heard good things about them. Let me clarify. If you are talking about sending network data over your AC power wires in the house, then that is what I'm referring to. It's all about GETTING data to your computer. Point A to Point B. HW, in my opinion is the only way to go. I don't care if I had to lay a temp CAT5 across the carpet, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Sure portabillity, roaming, blah, blah, blah, is nice, wireless, hehe, but for speed, security, and speed, Hard Wired rules. There may be newer tech. out there, than what I've seen, played on, and read reviews on, but all the ones I've seen where they try to ride data on a AC carrier signal, ummm, didn't work very well.

More info Bobo.

PuN
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Oh, forgot to add, they are NOT sending your internet over the AC wires, hence they don't need to know what outlet you are sniffing for data on, you've still got to get the data ON at your end, then all AC outlets are broadcasters OF that same data. I'll see if I can find a recent review for you.

PuN
BobMarley!
Forum Master

Post by BobMarley! »

oh.... :o

i get it now. thanks for the scoop Boss :!:

it's new so i was buggin out...

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”