Upgrade for meeeee

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Upgrade for meeeee

Post by eXg. focus »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103002

I'm currently running a single core amd 64 4000+ @ 2.56

I'm reading this dual core runs stable on air at 2.95.

This is the last powerful CPU for my socket type (939) and it should hold me over until the quad cores are more widely available and utilized.
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

Intel Quad chips will be dropping in July. Q6700 will 500bucks and Q6600 will be 200 bucks
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

eXg. Bugzz wrote:Intel Quad chips will be dropping in July. Q6700 will 500bucks and Q6600 will be 200 bucks
the q6600 are almost that low already, but I'm wanting to NOT build an entire new system until I HAVE to go to Vista.
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

f0cus wrote:
eXg. Bugzz wrote:Intel Quad chips will be dropping in July. Q6700 will 500bucks and Q6600 will be 200 bucks
the q6600 are almost that low already, but I'm wanting to NOT build an entire new system until I HAVE to go to Vista.
you won't need vista for the quad. it runs on windows XP. TBH i hated Vista worst OS ever. no matter how bad i tweak it it would keep loading the same. it uses WAY to much CPU and memory USAGE. it's a peace of s**t. Beside we have seen the graphics of these news games that are running on windows XP. explane ut3. that was all on XP. Crysis you need vista to run it out max.

but q6600 is at 500 bucks now :O
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

eXg. Bugzz wrote:
f0cus wrote:
you won't need vista for the quad. it runs on windows XP. TBH i hated Vista worst OS ever. no matter how bad i tweak it it would keep loading the same. it uses WAY to much CPU and memory USAGE. it's a peace of s**t. Beside we have seen the graphics of these news games that are running on windows XP. explane ut3. that was all on XP. Crysis you need vista to run it out max.

but q6600 is at 500 bucks now :O
Thats not the issue, reall. The point is, I can either buy this CPU and use it with all of the rest of the components I've got, or I can buy that CPU, and a new mobo, and new ram, and a new vid card, ('cause I'm not leaving this one without a vid card), .. the only thing I'd really get to x-fer even if I wanted to would be the Vid card and maybe the hdd. Everything else would have to be replaced. I have a good paying job, but I also have bills, and a son, and other important issues to deal with. I'm holding out for quad core probably next spring or this winter. I was originally planning on building a whole new rig before quakecon, but with this proc, that won't be necessary.
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

I understan. :) how is your son by the way?
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
eXg. Man0waR
Doom 3

Post by eXg. Man0waR »

Hmm, I personally think that opteron is way overpriced. Get a new mobo and an intel conroe processor, youll spend about the same, plus lga 775 socket is compatible with quad core, so you wont need a new mobo when u wana go to quad.
ImageImageImageImage
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

eXg. Man0waR wrote:Hmm, I personally think that opteron is way overpriced. Get a new mobo and an intel conroe processor, youll spend about the same, plus lga 775 socket is compatible with quad core, so you wont need a new mobo when u wana go to quad.

sigh... I'm not building a new rig, I have a computer, that I would like to upgrade. Upgrading the cpu alone is not an option. This ram won't work with another mobo either, ..

SO, it's either JUST a new cpu,

OR...

new cpu, motherboard, AND ram.
Contro
Forum Master

Post by Contro »

Sweet, sounds like a good investment. HF with that!
eXg. Pun1sher
Number One

Post by eXg. Pun1sher »

Right now, not everything is even using the D.Cores yet. Quad will be the future (and higher proc cores) but if you're trying to get the most bang now, Quad doesnt have to be on the list. Plenty of fast RAM (what OS you running ?), good Vid cards, and of course a fast HD will buy you more bang, than any Quad will today.

PuN
eXg. Man0waR
Doom 3

Post by eXg. Man0waR »

That processor is over $300. SO....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820211066

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128017

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115015

For about $350 you get dual core that will be better than that amd, DDR2 800 ram 2gb, and a mobo that gives you the support for quad core down the road. For the extra $40 from just getting that processor, you get a way better deal. Dont waste $300 on that cpu.
ImageImageImageImage
eXg. Man0waR
Doom 3

Post by eXg. Man0waR »

http://image.donanimhaber.com/resimler/ ... xspeed.png

Lower times = better

Opteron down by the bottom, not that exact model but similar ones, and conroe are at the top. Amd is laggin behind right now. IF your not convinced wait for amd's whole new line of dual cores.
ImageImageImageImage
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

Manowar has a point here. Why would you spend 300 bucks on something that sucks when you could get something much better for the same price. Also conroes are mad overclockable and with the e6320 you should be able to bump it around 2.5 stable with standard heatsync.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

THANKS FOR THE LINKAGE!
eXg. Man0waR
Doom 3

Post by eXg. Man0waR »

No problem man.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”