What next? [GFX card]

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
Vamp
Open Roster

What next? [GFX card]

Post by Vamp »

I need help, i have a 6600le and as you will all know thta is not up to it for the new games. so my question is What next?

my motherboard is:
Intel(R) Pentiun 4 CPU 2.80GHz 2.80GHz, 2.50GB of RAM

can anyone recommend a good 7800+ 512MB DDR GFX card
Vamp
Open Roster

Post by Vamp »

hmm. how may i check?
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

6600LE is AGP. I recommened the 7600GT 512mb card you wont get 7800 seris that's PCI-E. 7600GT is best card that ive seen from profenmace views in APG. :)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

Suki is correct.
Queer Eye 4 The Dung Guy

Post by Queer Eye 4 The Dung Guy »

Actually suki is incorrect. agp best is x1950xt from gecube or x1950pro sapphire

for q4 though 7900gs xfx

2600xt is also a good card for agp, but has a 128bit aperture.

P|LE

fyi: 7600agp is actually better then the pciexpress version lol
eXg. Frag///aster
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. Frag///aster »

lol. you guys,. hey man. you have a couple of options now adays when it comes to AGP..

There is a 7800 GS that is factory overclocked pretty decent, and It's not too bad for AGP at all. They got those at your local Best Buy and I think they are cheaper now. somthing like $200 easy...

Nvidia did some really cool things as well and continued the AGP line and came out with a 7900 card as well. I don't know much about it cause I was very happy with the 7800 GS from BFG Tech.

TBH, if you are looking for an upgrade. and you have lets say $500.00 laying around burning a whole in your pocket, you might wanna check out some barebones PC deals on some sites. Sometimes they have some decent deals where you might get 1 eh vid card but a hell of a proc, and motherboard with some upgradeability.. This would at least buy you some time, and wouldn't feel like a total waste as more of the games now will be going toward PCIE dual viddy's.

Then later you can always add another card if you get 1 really decent one.

What I ussually do is rape old pc's for parts as well. so like. every once in a while in my upgrade future I splurge on something that is baddass at the time.

For example. I smashed away a decent amount of cash when the BFG 800 watt SLI PSU came out, cause it was baddass, and it would last into SLI when it came to that.

Now that my AGP mother board seems to have s**t itself, I have gone SLI and guess what, I didn't have to buy another PSU. just recycle. obviously you won't be able to get away like that with everything, but smart choices can be made.

Hope it helps.
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

WTF ARE YOU DOING ON AGP STILL!!!
you missed PCIe completely and PCIe2.0 is out :P
I'd recommend saving up and investing in a new rig if your machine is that old.
You can make a decent machine that will run all current games smooth for about $500-600.
Otherwise you are SERIOUSLY wasting money in buying a new agp card. You will get such a slight fps boost and end up paying with your arms and feet.
Vamp
Open Roster

Post by Vamp »

eXg. sabooya wrote:WTF ARE YOU DOING ON AGP STILL!!!
you missed PCIe completely and PCIe2.0 is out :P
I'd recommend saving up and investing in a new rig if your machine is that old.
You can make a decent machine that will run all current games smooth for about $500-600.
Otherwise you are SERIOUSLY wasting money in buying a new agp card. You will get such a slight fps boost and end up paying with your arms and feet.

ehhh?

i could, but they would take till the end of the year to save up. or i could by a new GFX card and play NOW. hmm?

Can i have comments? play now [AGP] or new rig then year[PCI-e]?

hmmm ? what is the best AGP GFX card now?

Sab could you be so kind you PM me the best for value rig that would run all new and upcoming games
eXg. sabooya
Doom 3

Post by eXg. sabooya »

I'll gladly help you get a great rig. I HIGHLY recommend you do NOT upgrade your video card to a better AGP one. You will end up paying more money for a crappier card then you would a great one.

I just reformatted, so I'm installing all my stuff, I'll work on getting you a PM.
Xfire me too: sabooya

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”