How can I get a 3rd monitor hooked up?

Hardware, Software, Gaming Rigs, share it.
mrgreen_
Forum Bot

How can I get a 3rd monitor hooked up?

Post by mrgreen_ »

Hey guys I'd like to add a 3rd monitor to my computer setup...

Right now I have an evga 8800 gts and this is what it looks like:

Is there something I can buy so I can plugin a 3rd monitor? If so, could you provide a link or something?

I don't know a lot about hardware so anything to help I'd really appreciate.

Cheers
eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore

Re: How can I get a 3rd monitor hooked up?

Post by eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore »

NP.. i'll get ya started.. First your goona need to pick up another Evga 8800 card.. That will not only enable you to get a 3rd monitor but a 4th as well... Image

So time to go sli buddy... Which is a good thing.. Bout time, & am sure u knew u were gonna do it one day.. well.. he's your excuse :D Cant wait to see your 3rd monitor setup man.. Keep us updated..

Check out my 4 monitor Acer setup :arrow: http://www.exg-clan.com/newforum/viewtopic.php?t=6074

ya boi Jago
mrgreen_
Forum Bot

Post by mrgreen_ »

Sweet setup Jago

One question - does it matter which 8800 it is? Would an 8800 GT be ok, or does it have to be a GTS like I have now?
eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore

Post by eXg. Jago-Vs-Fulgore »

i have 2 8800 gts 640mb cards.. ones a Oc card running at a 550 core & the others non Oc card running at a 500 core.. They work fine together but i would have no idea in knowing if you could sli ur gts with a gt.. my first thought is NO...

Might be best to link 2 similar cards.. Check Ebay out for Great prices on Evga8800 cards.. There going dirt cheap now since the 9 series are on there way..

& oh yea make sure the person has excellent feedback as well...

Jago
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

the answer is no. you HAVE to have the exact same cards to do sli. they can be different manufacturers i believe, but the card/chip has to be the same. so you can have a bfg 8800gts and an evga 8800gts but they have to be the same otherwise (if you have the 512 or 640 does matter).

or ... you could go here. :D

edit: jago -- your cards are then running at 500 because they will only operate at the lowest common denominator. so i'd say try and overclock the second to the same speed as the first.
better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

Look up the "Matrox Triple head to go".

Sorry for no links or explanation, i'm at work. :(
mrgreen_
Forum Bot

Post by mrgreen_ »

gotcha....so I guess if I were to do SLI I'd sell my 8800 GTS and buy 2 8800 GT's since from when I last remember the GT was cheaper and performed better.

so this is the only way? SLI? I would have thought they had made some dual conversion thing to turn 1 port into 2...bummer.

Appreciate the help guys
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

MrGreen wrote:gotcha....so I guess if I were to do SLI I'd sell my 8800 GTS and buy 2 8800 GT's since from when I last remember the GT was cheaper and performed better.

so this is the only way? SLI? I would have thought they had made some dual conversion thing to turn 1 port into 2...bummer.

Appreciate the help guys
First of all, actual SLI does not support multiple monitors, not even dual.
Secondly, what you want isn't going to turn one port into two, it turns one port into three.

Here's a link to just the searches. I'm still at work for another 20minutes, then I'll be able to sift through and find the good ones.

http://www.google.com/search?q=matrox+t ... =firefox-a

OK, did a quick search through and found this for you
http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?sho ... ntry109840
but it looks f*****g expensive.
Last edited by eXg. focus on Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

yeah, look at the link i provided or the the suggestion from focus.
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

eXg. supercat1 wrote:yeah, look at the link i provided or the the suggestion from focus.

Thanks for cleaning up for me supercat1. Appreciate the backup while I'm pushing pencils
supercat1
Forum Elite

Post by supercat1 »

no worries. always here to help, make fun of phenom, and generate hairballs. :D

Return to “Reviews: Hardware/Software”