JUDGE
Forum Bot

Post by JUDGE »

a bunch of poop. Vista compatibility and some other linux and such things
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

eXg.deetew wrote:hmm is this new???? what does it fix?
Yes, its new. It is mainly a technical release to bring Doom 3 up to date with respect changes in operating system (Vista), new platforms (Intel based Macs), updated tools (Linux compiler) and to add some improved mod support.

The actual fixes are mostly internal (memory leaks, data corruption) kind of things rather than gameplay "fixes".

I've posted the changelog on www.the-emz.com so I wont repeat it here.

** BEWARE: Once you install D3 1.3.1 you will not be able to join servers that are still using 1.3

** Mods will need to be rebuilt using the new SDK

** EMZ 1.3 release, which is compatible with D3 1.3.1 due this weekend
JUDGE wrote:a bunch of poop. Vista compatibility and some other linux and such things
Those of us using Vista appreciate improved stability.

Those of us developing mods appreciate the change in the Linux development platform, which is now the same as for Q4 - no more switching around between games.

Those of us developing mods appreciate the alignment of the Mac platform and the ability to build for PPC AND Intel Macs with the Doom SDK, which was not possible before.

Those of us developing mods appreciate the additional modding APIs that id Software have added at our request to help make mods better/easier to develop.

Sim
BugZz
Forum eXtremist

Post by BugZz »

i must say vista on doom 3 is really smooth.
deetew
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by deetew »

any word on when servers will be updated so I can play again??
eXg. focus
Quake 4 US

Post by eXg. focus »

What exactly is so BAD about this patch that everyones acting like it's gonna break their computer?!?!?

I have YET to read an actual bad review with any kind of details. I mean, I know doom3 is a little bit outdated, but you shouldn't be SO afraid of change that you won't welcome the next iteration!

I'm installing it right now. =P
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

f0cus wrote:What exactly is so BAD about this patch that everyones acting like it's gonna break their computer?!?!?

I have YET to read an actual bad review with any kind of details. I mean, I know doom3 is a little bit outdated, but you shouldn't be SO afraid of change that you won't welcome the next iteration!

As far as I can tell the only BAD thing is that the server admins have not updated yet, so you can't join those dusty old vanilla servers.
eXg. apo
Open Roster

Post by eXg. apo »

f0cus wrote:What exactly is so BAD about this patch that everyones acting like it's gonna break their computer?!?!?

I think people get into a big girly flap about it. makes me want to claw my eyes out and stamp on them and die

lol
eXg. Aqua
Open Roster

Post by eXg. Aqua »

apo wrote:

I think people get into a big girly flap about it. makes me want to claw my eyes out and stamp on them and die

lol
LOL!
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

I'd just like to say that I personally prefer the new patch+new emz. I don't seem to get any frames problems or anything like that and you can change the hud back to default if you want.

I had to update for the tourney, but I actually prefer it now that I've tried it out.

The only thing I really don't like are the outlines for armor and weapons, I keep thinking they're actually there and I can't find an option to turn it off. :?
Veloc1ty90
Forum Master

Post by Veloc1ty90 »

i will dl it when/if our server is switched to that version, other than that i dont need it :)
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

eXg. Matt110189 wrote:The only thing I really don't like are the outlines for armor and weapons, I keep thinking they're actually there and I can't find an option to turn it off. :?
Thats odd. They should be off as standard - unless you have previously run one of the beta builds. Esc/Graphics/Item Ghosting is what you want.

Sim
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

Thanks, I found it. :D

Newer emz > older version... dunno what everyone cries about. I get far better frames actually.
simulation
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by simulation »

eXg. Matt110189 wrote:Thanks, I found it. :D

Newer emz > older version... dunno what everyone cries about. I get far better frames actually.
I think people's objections are to the actual D3 1.3.1 patch rather than the new EMZ; too few server admins have upgraded their vD3 servers :(

Out of interest, did you switch on "simple lighting" in EMZ or are your improved framerates with normal lighting too? There were lots of little tweaks thoughout EMZ 1.31 so it is nice to hear they're actually working in the real world.

Sim
hadriel
Open Roster

Post by hadriel »

Yea, that's with simple lighting. I tweaked everything though, and it was all just done through the emz options, but it runs really well for me. I'm really happy though because it's the opposite of q4, where even after customizing my config with all of the q4max options I still couldn't keep a steadily high framerate and had to turn all my textures off so that everything is giant blobs of color.

Quite happy I didn't have to end up doing the same for Doom! Good work!

As for the new patch, I think everyone is hesitant to upgrade simply because server admins haven't updated their servers. If the servers were updated, players would update too.

Return to “Doom3, Doom4”